BBO Discussion Forums: Neat Play Problem - Modified Sorry (FUN) - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Neat Play Problem - Modified Sorry (FUN)

#1 User is offline   Yzerman 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2003-April-01, 06:24

Here is neat play hand (real life hand);

Vulnerable Slam Imps
Contract=6H

xxx
Kxxx
-
AKQ10xx

AKx
AJ109
J9xx
Jx

Played from the bottom hand on DA lead.  Assume hearts can be no worse than 4-1 (hand not makable on 5-0).  Find line that succeeds against 3-2 or 4-1 hearts in either hand.
MAL

#2 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2003-April-01, 08:14

Vulnerable Slam Imps
Contract=6H

K632
AKQJ875

A952
AJ109
AK6

Played from the bottom hand on SK lead.  Assume hearts can be no worse than 4-1 (hand not makable on 5-0).  Find line that succeeds against 3-2 or 4-1 hearts in either hand.

There is undoubtedly something elegant that I am missing, however, at the table I would win the Ace of Spades and lead the Jack of Hearts.  If LHO doesn't cover, I'm going to win the King of Hearts and hook a heart back the other way.  
Alderaan delenda est

#3 User is offline   eyhung 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bridge, poker, literature, boardgames, computers, classical music, baseball, history

Posted 2003-April-01, 10:16

Vulnerable Slam Imps
Contract=6H

xxx
Kxxx
-
AKQ10xx

AKx
AJ109
J9xx
Jx

Played from the bottom hand on DA lead.  Assume hearts can be no worse than 4-1 (hand not makable on 5-0).  Find line that succeeds against 3-2 or 4-1 hearts in either hand.

This line assumes there are no voids in either enemy hand.

Ruff opening lead, heart to jack.  If it loses, I will take 3 long trump tricks, 1 diamond ruff, 6 clubs, and 2 spades.

If the jack wins, I lead the ten of hearts and duck in dummy.  (Finessing backwards into the hand that supposedly has the queen!)  If RHO wins the queen, he can do nothing.  I will win any return, draw trump, and run the clubs for 3 hearts, 1 diamond ruff, 6 clubs, and 2 spades.

If the ten also wins, I draw trump and take 13 tricks (4 hearts, 1 diamond ruff, 6 clubs, 2 spades).

The key is to try to lose to the trump queen on one of the first two rounds of trump, while a trump remains in dummy to take care of diamonds.  If the first two rounds are ducked, then I can draw all the trump and never have to lose the lead.

Eugene Hung
Eugene Hung

#4 User is offline   Yzerman 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2003-April-01, 10:25

My apologies for the mistake on the first go around, I was totally out to lunch.

Your solution is 100% correct.  Furthermore, we (my partner and i) have recited this hand to about 50 people and only 2 have immediately solved it.

FYI - I went down on this hand in real life however I have applied this safety play (or similar) twice in the last 6 months, so is fairly frequent.
MAL

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users