Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Declarer Problem

#1 User is offline   Yzerman 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2003-April-10, 11:36

I just watched a pretty neat hand played as I kibitzed.  Declarer is a solid player as are the other three players at the table.

The result of deal in question was 6N down 1.  In my opinion declarer did not give much thought to hand and played on "auto-pilot".  After hand was over, the opps also said that hand requires double dummy play.  The dummy player and myself think otherwise.  Play the hand as the bottom hand is the declarers hand and top hand is dummy;

- Auction is irrelevant

QJxxx
K9x
KJx
xx

AK
A10xx
Axx
AKJ10

LHO leads the 10 of spade to your King.  When you cash second high spade RHO shows out.  How to proceed from here (obviously the club hook loses or this would not be a problem).

As you cash clubs you find that LHO started with 4 clubs.  How to proceed?

* You may elect not to cash the 4th club from hand if you find it necassary to work another suit before finding the club distribution

* The hand can always be made when LHO has 4 clubs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Additional "stuff":

* If someone has the time and energy perhaps they could analyze the hand when LHO has 3 clubs, and 2 clubs.  

*  Is there a better line of play from trick 2 forward? maybe find a better or optimal line of play from the start.
MAL

#2 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2003-April-10, 12:29

I just watched a pretty neat hand played as I kibitzed.  Declarer is a solid player as are the other three players at the table.

The result of deal in question was 6N down 1.  In my opinion declarer did not give much thought to hand and played on "auto-pilot".  After hand was over, the opps also said that hand requires double dummy play.  The dummy player and myself think otherwise.  Play the hand as the bottom hand is the declarers hand and top hand is dummy;

- Auction is irrelevant

QJxxx
K9x
KJx
xx

AK
A10xx
Axx
AKJ10

LHO leads the 10 of spade to your King.  When you cash second high spade RHO shows out.  How to proceed from here (obviously the club hook loses or this would not be a problem).

As you cash clubs you find that LHO started with 4 clubs.  How to proceed?

* You may elect not to cash the 4th club from hand if you find it necassary to work another suit before finding the club distribution

* The hand can always be made when LHO has 4 clubs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Additional "stuff":

* If someone has the time and energy perhaps they could analyze the hand when LHO has 3 clubs, and 2 clubs.  

*  Is there a better line of play from trick 2 forward? maybe find a better or optimal line of play from the start. 

Hand looks very cold. You should have said what RHO threw on the second spade (probably from his long red suit, but no matter). The best play at imps looks like a low club at trick three...  :P, to keep everything flexible.

West has to keep spades, so he is going to have a lot of trouble holding on to even one red suit. And when he abandons one or the other red suit, he exposes he and his partner to a double squeeze. And of course if WEST is 2-2 in the red suits? His partner is already exposed to a red suit simple squeeze.

The neat ending might be when West is 5-3-3-2, wins the club and returns a spade. Win the spade in dummy, pitch a heart, cash clubs... when west abandons diamonds, pitch DJ away (and a low heart). Cash Diamond ACE, and cross to stiff diamond king (diamond squeeze west out of his heart stopper), and now the last spade squeezes east in diamonds and hearts.  But no matter, virtually everything works.

Ben
--Ben--

#3 User is offline   the hog 

• Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2003-April-10, 17:54

I would suggest, Yzerman, that this is not as trivial as it seems if you are playing against decent players. If you make the error of crossing to dummy with a H to take the C hook, you are in strife. A strong opp will hold up the C Q even with 3C. Now it is tempting to cross in D and take the hook again and the roof falls in.

My first reaction was to play AKJ of C, but while I can afford a H on the C J, what do I pitch when I eventually cash my 4th C? If I decide to pitch a S I am relying on the red suit squeeze only. (This is after cashing the DA - Vienna coup). This line would probably work, but a better line is Inquiries of giving up a C immediately. You now retain squeeze chances against both opps if lefty is 5314.

If lefty is a strong player, she may very well hold up the CQ. In this case you have 11 tricks and I would now play A, K and another H to try and drop Hx, or the  D hook or play for 3-3 H  
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#4 User is offline   inquiry 

Posted 2003-April-11, 04:30

I have been private messaged about my stated line in to this hand. First, let me agree with The Hog excellent point that a good defender in WEST will duck the first club hook, and you will end up toast if you take it again...something I mentioned to Yzerman last night.

Second, my line is primarly for imps, as it might be to risky at matchpoint to give up on the potential overtrick associated with crossing in hearts and taking a club hook. So at mp, I might adopt an inferior line of cross in hearts and take a club hook, simply because of that extra 30 points for a potential overtrick on a squeeze if the club hook is winning.

Finally, the hand is actually easier to play than to describe. The trick, if there is one, is figuring out what red suit WEST abandons. If West is short in clubs, this tends to be easier than if WEST is long in clubs... because instead of abandoning a red suit, WEST simply can't have stoppers in both. If he is 5-2-2-4, he has stopper in neither, and EAST will be exposed to a red suit simple squeeze, with both red suit threats in your hand. If West is 5-3-1-4 or 5-1-3-4 you have to decide which red suit he is most likely to have three cards in...which is why my querry to Yzerman about what was the original discard on the spade K. I am very interested in EAST's discards on this hand. Playing against anyone but a true champion, his discards will be very illuminating.

My line (stated in an earlier response), win two spades, assume east discards club or diamond (you are intersted primarily in heart discards, since once either opponent discards a heart, for sure only one opponent will be able to stop that suit. This is because they have only 6 hearts between them, leaving one of them with two or fewer hearts). Now I duck a club from my hand. I might lead the TEN, since WEST with Qxxx might not rise with the QUEEN, after all, who in their right mind with AKJT would lead the TEN (or jack for that matter?) Assume they win the club and return a club (as good as any). Now the basic endings involve very little quess work.

I play a third club, discarding a heart from dummy (if the heart TEN and NINE were reversed, you should throw the heart TEN from dummy for a potential double guard squeeze ending will crop up if you misguess the red suits...but with the Ten in your hand, no problem).

Then I cash the last club for a diamond discard from dummy. In the actual hand (west 5-x-y-4), east has had to find two red card discards. If he throws a heart in here somewhere, he probably held four or more. With exactly four, the hand is very easy, as it is a red suit simple squeeze on EAST and you will surely make. If five hearts or more, then it is a double squeeze with threats L-S4, R-HT, B-D4. East could have 2H, but to pitch a heart with 7 Diamonds would be a very odd choice.  

If no hearts discard, hearts are problem 3-3 or 2-4 with EAST having 2. This is the ending...

QJ4
         Kx
         KJ
         --

--
         ATxx
         Axx
         --

Now you can cross to red suit king (diamond if EAST has thrown two diamonds), and cash one top spade, for a heart discard. Once again, EAST has to find a discard. After three red card discards by rho, and the one round of diamonds. You probably have a good idea of east's hand. Let's assume you decide he has only 3 hearts (he has discarded only diamonds the entire time... that is three diamond discards, plus both followed to one round of diamonds). If East held 1-4-5-3, he has already thrown away his diamond quard and your little diamond is good. If he was 1-3-6-3, only he can possible stop diamonds, so you have a double squeeze. The way to disover which is the situation is to cash the diamond ACE. The only danger hand is if EAST has been throwing diamonds from 1-5-4-3 hand, an odd choice, but maybe a very strategic one (he couldn't do this with Qxxx). When you lead to the diamond ace, he will show out, and it is too late to execute a diamond/spade squeeze on LHO. Fortunately, few defend this well, and also, fortunately, you still have the potential heart hook if WEST's stiff heart is the queen or jack.

All other ending end in your success. If RHO held 1-3-6-3, you have proven non-simultaneous double squeeze. After diamond ACE wins, cross to the heart KING (the diamond ACE having squeeze a heart stopper out of your LHO) and play the last top spade. If RHO keeps his last diamond, you throw your diamond away and run your hearts.

So really, they will probably not be able to hold the position if all they throw is diamonds. So what about if EAST throws one or two hearts on the run of the club suit? That is even simplier. For one thing, now only one opponent can stop hearts, and in real life, it will be rho, for with 2 or 3 hearts, EAST would be throwing from his very long diamond suit. The two ending can be characterized simply by giving EAST 3 or 5 hearts originally.

If he had 4 hearts (1-4-5-3) he was always in the grips of a simple squeeze and had no defense anyway. If he had 5 hearts (1-5-4-3), the hand is a double squeeze with the threats L-S4, R-HT, B-D4.

The only problem that exist on the hand is with a tricky EAST who is 1-3-6-3 who throws hearts and keeps all those Diamonds (if he is 1-2-7-3, one round of diamonds earlier, revealed all and you find the double squeeze with R-4D, L-SQ, B-HT). If east is good enough to pitch two hearts from 1-3-6-3, he will beat me, as I will play him for longer hearts and cash my hearts to set up the wrong double squeeze. Fortunately, the people I generally play against are nowhere near that good.... After all squeeze defense is much, much tougher than squeeze play. Imagine my partners faces when my line fails when EAST had S-x H-Qx D-QTxxxx C-Qxxx and come back with down one... I will have a lot of explaining to do......
>:P
--Ben--

#5 User is offline   Yzerman 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2003-April-11, 08:20

* The pschology and logic of declarer play!

Thanks for the replies, this is fascinating play problem (at least I think so).  My goal was to determine if the hand hand can always be made when LHO is 5xy4 shape.  Inquiry has discovered that there is a technical solution to this hand against any distribution of RHO when LHO is 5xy4 with the exception of WORLD CLASS FALSE CARDING (this does not even consider other distributions).

I never said or implied that this problem is trivial, quite the contrary.  The declarer at the table is more than capable of finding in-depth lines of play however I stated that he did not give the hand much consideration (given that play of hand was over in 30 seconds).

Furthermore, I wonder if a "world class" declarer would fine such a line of play.  If they were able to find this line, would they be able to do this within a practical time limit.

Hands like these make me feel VERY stupid.  I have spent perhaps a total of 3-4 hours going over inquiries play line and find it easy to get lost in the cascade of conditional plays based upon opponents discards.  This one I would not find at the table, and probably am incapable of accidently finding this line.

Given the above, I would be interested in the logic applied to finding this solution.  Specifically some questions below;

* Assumption - When spades foul, hand require squeeze.  Of the "advanced" to "expert" players I have first discussed with, EACH of them opted for the club finesse even after considering the squeeze option(s).

a) How did you "know" that playing low club is best?  (this is very intriguing AND after careful analysis 100% the right play - at least @ imps).

:P Have you a previuos experience with this type of problem (double squeeze possibilities with entry problems - solution concede club), or is this an aquired skill (via reading), or is this just natural ability?

c) How were you able to determine which discards RHO makes determines which red suit to cross to dummy with?  The in-depth analysis of discards to hand patterns is time consuming (to say the least), is this really practical?  Are there people in this world that can do this @ table (if so amazing)?

d) This hand is fascinating because of the combination of solutions depending on discards and dynamics of card play.  Is there any fast and easy rule to identify this type of problem?  (a) simple squeeze, (B) guard squeeze, © non-simultaneous double squeeze, (d) progressive/compound squeeze.

e) So you have found the solution to the problem in a reasonable amount of time at the table, how the #@$%
to execute the solution?  (very easy to get lost in your own logic)

Conclusion - Bridge is a game of never ending learning and accumulation of experience and bridge knowledge.  
MAL

#6 User is offline   inquiry 

Posted 2003-April-11, 10:40

Inquiry has discovered that there is a technical solution to this hand against any distribution of RHO when LHO is 5xy4 with the exception of WORLD CLASS FALSE CARDING (this does not even consider other distributions).

You did not consider other distributions, but I certainly did. The play to duck a low CLUB works against ALL unseen distributions as long as you can decide what red suit WEST abandons. Give west, 5-4-4-0 for instance. He is still toast. This is what Clyde Love called a compound squeeze,or if you remove the Diamond JACK, might become a compound guard squeeze (you will have to check other than Clyde's book for this. I think Eng's Bridge Squeeze Illustrated covered these guys...but I would have to go look).

Furthermore, I wonder if a "world class" declarer would fine such a line of play.  If they were able to find this line, would they be able to do this within a practical time limit.

Anyone who has studied compound squeezes at all, will identify this as one as soon as west shows up with five spades. World class or mearly muddling like me.... all it takes is experience studying advanced card play.

This one I would not find at the table, and probably am incapable of accidently finding this line.. It really isn't that hard, thank's to the chapter in Clydes book. I think anyone who has spent a week with his book can identify this hand at the table in 10 to 20 seconds.

* Assumption - When spades foul, hand require squeeze.  Of the "advanced" to "expert" players I have first discussed with, EACH of them opted for the club finesse even after considering the squeeze option(s).... well, I llst myself as advanced, and I never considered the club hook other than if at matchpoint, and only then in a very high level game where the slam will be bid at nearly all the tables. Maybe I am only intermediate?  Give the same hand but change the clubs to AKQ2 instead of AKJT, I bet they all find duck a club (or better yet, a heart) quick enough.

a) How did you "know" that playing low club is best?  (this is very intriguing AND after careful analysis 100% the right play - at least @ imps). I am writing a book on how people can identify squeezes at the table (been working on it for a couple of years, sadly, probably never finish it --- it takes me 1000 words to say what others say in 20 words). This one is a perfect example of how to identify a compound squeeze at the table. One might argue over percentage plays perhaps, but I like to keep my opinions open and I know if I duck a club I can ALWAYS make the hand if I can read WEST's hand... there is simply no distribution or split of the cards where I can not at least make the hand after losing a club if I can work out his distribution. I know this after trick two.

:P Have you a previuos experience with this type of problem (double squeeze possibilities with entry problems - solution concede club), or is this an aquired skill (via reading), or is this just natural ability? I indeed have plenty of experience with hands like this. I seek them out. As anyone who sees my post here, I spend a lot of time thinking about bridge, and my favorite topic is squeezes. It certainly isn't natural ability, it is an acquired skill through study. I recommend both clyde loves book and E. Eng's book.

c) How were you able to determine which discards RHO makes determines which red suit to cross to dummy with?  The in-depth analysis of discards to hand patterns is time consuming (to say the least), is this really practical?  Are there people in this world that can do this @ table (if so amazing)?Well, this is the trick to any compound squeeze. In a compound squeeze on opponent stops one suit, and then both opponents stop the other two suits. But once you westle one stopper out of the opponent with three suit stopped, you have established a double squeeze. But since this guy can give you several different flavors of double squeezes, depending upon which suit he abandons, then paying careful attention to entry conditions and the like is essential... thus, club JACK at trick three, not a red suit or CLUB AK, is right, imho.

d) This hand is fascinating because of the combination of solutions depending on discards and dynamics of card play.  Is there any fast and easy rule to identify this type of problem?  (a) simple squeeze, (B) guard squeeze, © non-simultaneous double squeeze, (d) progressive/compound squeeze.

Yes. A guard squeeze is simply a simple squeeze with a defective entry condition. To compensate for this defect, the third suit has to be partially finessable. Compound squeeze should be identifiable on this hand immediately at trick two when EAST show out. (West stops spades.. ok, if he has stoppers in both red suits, he can be squeezed out of one of them on the run of clubs...), walla, it must be a compound squeeze with the threats the 3rd little heart and third little diamond in my own hand.

e) So you have found the solution to the problem in a reasonable amount of time at the table, how the #@$%
to execute the solution?  (very easy to get lost in your own logic)

Just try to figure out which suit west gives up. Let's assume he is in fact 5-4-4-0... You duck a club, EAST has to win first, or you can cross to dummy and hook. Now back comes a club. West has to find four discards... none of which can be a spade. Don't you think you could work out which suit he abandoned? Also you get to cash a red winner and a spade to find out more. Now with him 5-4-4-0, he is already squeezed in the majors, so lets make him 5-3-5-0.  Again, he comes under terrific pressure.  

Will you always get it right? Maybe you, not me. Will I get it right a great majority of the time? I think yes, and you can too once you identify the compound nature of the squeeze... and really, truely, that is very easy to do on this hand. Just ask eugene... he hasn't weighed in yet, but I know he would see this on in a flash.

Ben
--Ben--

#7 User is offline   the hog 

• Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2003-April-11, 17:57

"I never said or implied that this problem is trivial, quite the contrary."

No, Yzerman, I know that and didn't mean to imply that you did say it was trivial.

To be honest, it took me about 3 minutes of looking at the hand to work out that my initial line of AKJ of C was not good and that a low C had to be right. - I was never going to take the C hook. Whether this is too long at the table depends - probably yes at MP where you have to move but certainly no at Imps. On line I'd say the opps would get pretty techy after 3 minutes of thinking.

Actually I think this is the best line at MPs and Imps. Not everyone will bid 6.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#8 User is offline   inquiry 

Posted 2003-April-12, 13:10

Actually I think this is the best line at MPs and Imps. Not everyone will bid 6.

Well, at imps, clearly the surperior line is always taken. But here, once again, in a good field at matchpoints, I would at least consider taking the club hook.

As an educational point, it is interesting that WEST is known to have five spades to EAST's one. So the odds of EAST having the club QUEEN has increased from 50/50 before the opening lead to somewhere near 60% now (for the mathematically inclined I think it is almost exactly 60%).  At matchpoints those odds attract my attention, especially in a good field.  I mean a balanced 23 with two tens in the two four card suits opposite a balanced 10 with a good five card suit and KJ and K9 in two suits? In a good field 95 percent of the field bid the slam. Heck, I would think of the 16 pairs that played this hand in the BBO, at least 12 and probably more would bid this slam, or some slam.  You also have to worry a little that other tables may have gotten a club or heart opening lead too... This is why MATCHPOINTS is a more challenging form of the game.
--Ben--

#9 User is offline   Yzerman 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2003-April-13, 04:00

MATCHPOINTS SUCH!
MAL

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users