Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Convention Card required Before cards will pop

#1 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2005-July-13, 16:35

Is it possible to have a convention card required for all 4 players before the cards will pop up with some minimum (BBO decides) fields filled out?
1) Have SAYC cc autopop when cards come up.
2) Ability to change cc to your favourite Moscito or Polish club with one or two fast mouse clicks. Some mimimum required fields must be filled out for cc system to be accepted for play use.
3) Ability to quickly be able to replace standard cc cards, sayc, 2/1 etc with write over. Again at minimum some required fields must be filled out for cards to pop up for new hand.

At a minimum when opp opens 2d or 1nt something will be in those 2 required fields ;).

With autopop no delay in getting first hand started. No delay in asking what 2D or 1nt opening means.

#2 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2005-July-13, 18:29

This is a good idea, Mike. I wonder if it couldn't be stretched where you had to produce a completed convention card as part of the registration process and whatever card you produce is what you must play.

Winston
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#3 User is offline   bearmum 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2005-July-13, 22:07

Winstonm, on Jul 14 2005, 01:29 PM, said:

This is a good idea, Mike.  I wonder if it couldn't be stretched where you had to produce a completed convention card as part of the registration process and whatever card you produce is what you must play.

Winston

This will cartainly work with established partnerships (who probably have a CC done anyway?) but IMO is unworkable for casual partnerships ( sometimes when sitting I ask "what system p? and get no reply :rolleyes: ) and leaving the table is not allowable in tourneys

#4 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2005-July-13, 22:40

bearmum, on Jul 13 2005, 11:07 PM, said:

Winstonm, on Jul 14 2005, 01:29 PM, said:

This is a good idea, Mike.  I wonder if it couldn't be stretched where you had to produce a completed convention card as part of the registration process and whatever card you produce is what you must play.

Winston

This will cartainly work with established partnerships (who probably have a CC done anyway?) but IMO is unworkable for casual partnerships ( sometimes when sitting I ask "what system p? and get no reply :rolleyes: ) and leaving the table is not allowable in tourneys

Unworkable, what is unworkable, cc is on auto.
1) If you do not want to play it change it. Keep in mind each player has their own cc not the pair.
2) Keep in mind you need the minimum fields filled out or you do not get a new hand. So you will have something on that cc or will not play.
3) If you keep making bids that are not on cc and feel you are above changing cc to let us know what you are playing then take legal penalty, whatever that is. Keep in mind each player has own cc not pair. If pair is playing totally different(not silly minor stuff) cc's then take legal penalty.
4) Or in main room we can leave table, who wants to play against opp who have one cc and play another. If pair is playing totally different(not silly minor stuff) cc's then we can leave.

The goal is not to protect you or partner but to protect the other pairs. This is the priority.

#5 User is offline   MickyB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-July-14, 03:01

Sorry Mike, the solution sounds worse than the problem to me.

#6 User is offline   mink 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-July-14, 03:56

Here is my approach to convention cards:

There is a predefined list of systems/conventions, implemented in software. Conventions like capp and dont that cannot apply at the same time are grouped in this list. All systems form a group of course as you cannot play 2 systems at the same time.

Everybody fills a profile once - just by clicking on options, no typing - where he states which systems and conventions he loves, likes, knows or will never play. So for every System/Convention one of these 4 possible settings can be selected. For those who do not bother to fill this profile, the default system should be 5 card majors, nt 15-17 and conventions stayman, transfers and backwood. Including transfers will create fewer problems than excluding them, I think. There should be a message for new accounts that encourages to fill out the profile, or maybe even the profile dialog should pop up immediately when a new account logs in for the first time. It should be possible to copy the profile from another account, or even simply link it to another account, which causes changes in that other account to be effective in this account automatically.

When a partnership is formed at a normal table or for a tourney, the software automatically compiles a cc from the profiles of both players. Of course, a convention one of them will never play is off in the cc, no matter how badly the other loves this convention. If one player loves a convention, it is on if the other at least knows it. And a convention is also on if both like it. A convention that both just know or one likes and the other just knows is off. If there are 2 conventions of a group that are loved by one partner and know by the other, the one loved by the player with the lower self-assigned level should be selected.

Both players should take a look at this automatically-compiled cc of course immediately after the partnership is established. It should be possible to delete or add a convention. Deleting is easy: just right-click on it and select delete, and it is off - partner is automatically notified. To add, there is an add button that displays the whole list, and by a click the convention is automatically suggested to the partner, who can either accept or reject it. Of course, in the add list you will find no convention the partner will never play, and the others are marked with the level the partner has assigned to it (love, like, know).

If a partnership decides to change an automatically-compiled cc, it should be automatically saved on the server and restored when these partners meet again. Of course, only the changes made need to be stored, reducing the storage space needed for this.

For opps, the contents of the cc should be displayed in a window that still displays something useful if its width is set so that it fits left or right the main BBO window on a 1024x768 display. Common abbreviations (like capp for Cappelletti) should be used in order to save space and make all conventions fit in a small window without scrolling. Like today, it should be possible to switch to your own cc.

A left-click on any convention should open a browser window that displays an explanation for this convention. This window should have a meaningful title, so that it can be minimized and reopened with one click from the taskbar, as loading the information again might take some time in case of a slow connection.

An enhancement: There should be a formalized language that makes it possible to define when a convention aplies. To each convention such a definition could be attached, and the BBO software could recognize that a call fits the definition and auto-alert and explain it to opps.

Karl

#7 User is offline   scoob 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-July-14, 08:17

i know this is probably terrible to admit, but in honesty i cannot say that i have ever opened an opps' convention card on bbo - not once. i did take the time to fill one out once for my regular partnership and remember disliking the interface very much.

what i (personally) would like to see implemented is the ability to save lists of commonly used alerts and the ability to choose them from a combo box (drop down list) when alerting one of my bids. different sets of alerts for different systems.

#8 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2005-July-14, 09:57

scoob, on Jul 14 2005, 05:17 PM, said:

what i (personally) would like to see implemented is the ability to save lists of commonly used alerts and the ability to choose them from a combo box (drop down list) when alerting one of my bids. different sets of alerts for different systems.

Download the remote keys application and you already have everything that you want
Alderaan delenda est

#9 User is offline   kgr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-July-14, 10:10

mink, on Jul 14 2005, 11:56 AM, said:

Here is my approach to convention cards:
An enhancement: There should be a formalized language that makes it possible to define when a convention aplies. To each convention such a definition could be attached, and the BBO software could recognize that a call fits the definition and auto-alert and explain it to opps.

Karl

I didn't quote the complete long text, but all the suggestions in your original post would make a real improvement for playing with unknown partner. (The functionality could even be extended to the 'search a table' functionality)
I especially like your last comment. "An enhancement": This makes it look like all the preceeding was just a small chance :lol:

#10 User is offline   scoob 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-July-14, 11:18

hrothgar, on Jul 14 2005, 09:57 AM, said:

scoob, on Jul 14 2005, 05:17 PM, said:

Download the remote keys application and you already have everything that you want

been there, done that. no thanks.

#11 User is offline   bearmum 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-July-15, 04:33

mike777, on Jul 14 2005, 05:40 PM, said:

Unworkable, what is unworkable, cc is on auto.
1) If you do not want to play it change it. Keep in mind each player has their own cc not the pair.
2)  Keep in mind you need the minimum fields filled out or you do not get a new hand. So you will have something on that cc or will not play.
3) If you keep making bids that are not on cc and feel you are above changing cc to let us know what you are playing then take legal penalty, whatever that is. Keep in mind each player has own cc not pair. If pair is playing totally different(not silly minor stuff) cc's then take legal penalty.
4) Or in main room we can leave table, who wants to play against opp who have one cc and play another. If pair is playing totally different(not silly minor stuff) cc's then we can leave.

The goal is not to protect you or partner but to protect the other pairs. This is the priority.

OH I didn't realise you can post an INDIVIDUAL CC (silly me :angry: :P ) I really thought you had to play a combined CC??

#12 User is offline   doofik 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-July-15, 08:11

I play Polish Club as number one, 2/1 as number two, and the disliked SAYC when nothing else will work. Would it be possible to fill out more than 1 convention card?

doofik

#13 User is offline   scoob 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-July-15, 09:16

doofik, on Jul 15 2005, 08:11 AM, said:

I play Polish Club as number one, 2/1 as number two, and the disliked SAYC when nothing else will work. Would it be possible to fill out more than 1 convention card?

doofik

when you are finished filling out your card, press the save button and it will prompt you asking where to save it to your hard drive. you can do this multiple times and save each as a new file name. then to load whichever one you're using click the open button and you will be prompted again - choose the file you saved previously and the c/c will load.

#14 User is offline   doofik 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-July-15, 09:56

Thank you very much scoob.

doofik

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users