Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Canape strong club 1M four or six cards

#1 User is offline   MickyB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2005-June-02, 15:43

This is a system I've been working on...Some background below, for anyone interested!

1 Any 16+
1 Denies a 4+ card major; 11-15 unbal or 11-12 bal
1 and 1 10-15 unbal, either 6+ suit or 4 cards with a longer minor; or 10-12 bal, 4 cards or 5332
1NT 13-15, a strong NT I guess :blink:
2 Multi (weak only)
2M Exactly 5 card suit, 4 or 5 cards in a minor, 11-15

I have two worries about this system, other than sorting the responses of course! Firstly, the 2M openers. They are fairly undefined given the level that they are being opened at, but I guess the preemption can work both ways - after all, natural systems will frequently land up playing in 2M on a false preference auction. I suspect the main loss would be playing in 2 when we can make 4 in a 5-3 fit, but again 2/1 has this problem. One alternative I considered was 1 as exactly 5 cards in a major, but that isn't terribly legal around here. Shame, 2 and 2 as either six cards or 5-4 minors could have been quite nice. Another is 2 as four or five and a five card major, so that the 2M openers promise that suit and diamonds, but that doesn't solve the 5-3 heart fit problem. A further option, the one I started with, is as follows:

1 nat single suited, minors, 4+5M
1N 13-15 or 11-12 with 4333 and 5332s, Blue Club style
2 nat 6 cards
5M4+ hands either opening 2M or being added to the 1M openers.
11-12 bal with 4 but no 4 card major could go into 1 or 1NT.

The 1 opener could be interesting to respond to. 1 would need to be artificial, possibly a negative, possibly just an enquiry ambiguous in strength. Jimmy (Luke Warm) has suggested 1 as an artificial negative, 1N as artificial forcing, and 1 and 2 as natural non-forcing, as per Weiss Club. Another idea that I've had is to use 1 as a general relay, now continuations for unbalanced hands are split by whether three spades are held or not - after 1:1, 1 3 cards (now 1N relay), 1N nat, 2// nat without 3.

Secondly, what to do with a major two suiter. The three options I've thought of - Opening them with the shorter suit, opening them with the longer suit, or using the currently vacant 2 opener (possibly including a diamond option). I suspect that opening 5-4s in the five card suit could lose a lot of the benefits of the system. I've had little experience with Blue Club, should I be seeking out a book on it?

Of course, any other comments are welcome! TIA, and thanks also for the replies to my previous posts on the subject.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here goes with the background...

Having played some MOSCITO (transfer openings), I'm quite keen on frequently opening four card majors. Finding the major fit quickly is often advantageous, and you can get some nice penalties when opps balance over 2M when you had been in a 4-3.

However, I dislike the amount that MOSCITO gives up to obtain those penalties, and to compete to the 3 level when responder has four card support for opener's five card suit. 1:2 is defined as 6-9 points, exactly 3 card support IIRC; With four card support you often need to raise to the 3 level on what could be a 15 total trump deal, and weaker hands have to pass the transfer opening and hope that the opps have game on. The latter problem is exacerbated by the EBU's regulations - A strong club has to promise 16 HCP in all but a couple of events in this country. Indeed, transfer openings are permitted in less than half of our competitions.

This leads me to prefer a system where a 1M opening bid is natural, showing either four or six cards in the bid suit. This leaves responder in no doubt about our total number of trumps after raising partner's major, as he can happily reraise with six. It also reduces the pressure on responder to make a raise on three cards on hands not suited to playing in a 4-3 fit. To increase the frequency of the 1M openings, they should include both balanced hands and hands with a longer minor suit.

As you can see, the exception to the "4 or 6" rule is 5M332s in the 10-12 point range. I'm not too worried about these, their lack of shape will mean that they frequently behave similarly both on offence and defence to a 4M5m31. It is likely that some 6m-5Ms (and possibly some 5-5s) will also land up opening 1M, but they are happy to take another bid.

#2 User is offline   luke warm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, poker, politics

Posted 2005-June-02, 18:55

opening bids look ok.. i don't like the 13-15 nt because i *rarely* open 11 count balanced hands (unless they have 4+ controls).. 12-15 is better, cause you gain a tad more preemption on the flat 12 counts (1d now, right?), assuming you're willing to pass the 11 flat ('course i'll gladly open that mini nt, but not many want to play it)

what's your 2nt opening? reason i ask is, the 2d bid can be weak 2 in majors OR 19, 20 balanced.. 2nt opening then 21, 22.. that leaves 1c then 1nt rebid as 16-18 and 2nt rebid as *big*, 23+ or 23-26 or whatever... very defined

so what is 1d? either minors or diamonds, right? how bout using 1h over it as the (acbl illegal) relay for 2nd suit.. if diamonds and clubs, bid 1nt with longer diamonds, bid 2c with >= clubs... keep 1s and 2c as <11 and to play.... you need a forcing bid, 1nt does that fine... that means no other response to 1d is forcing, and that's a big help

you know my proclivity for the canape stuff.. i never thought i'd like it as much as i do, but have seen very few downsides..

the changes i recently made (for some of the same reasons you mention) are:

1nt=12-15 balanced OR 11-17, 6+ clubs
1d=2 suiter, canape unless clubs OR 6+ diamonds, 11-17
1h/s=2 suiter, canape
2c=3 suiter
2d=multi, weak 2 in major
2h/s=11-16, one suiter

good luck, have fun ;)
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#3 User is offline   MickyB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-June-02, 19:21

I want to be opening 1H and 1S on weak balanced hands to get the best frequency out of opening four card majors...could have 14-16 NT and put the other ranges up a point, or either 14-15 any bal or 12-13 no 4cM. There's still the club single suiter in the 1 opener otherwise it is severely underloaded, anyone know any useful preempts when you've only got 2 and 2 free? lol

No problem with bal ranges after a 1 opener, I've always used Kokish...Plus being able to pass a multi 2 is *very* nice

#4 User is offline   mr1303 

• Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2005-June-03, 01:41

I find the main benefits of playing 2D as weak only multi come when you can jam the auction without pre-empting partner when he has one of the strong options. Passing 2D only really works well when LHO doubles, usually to show 13-15 balanced or thereabouts.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users