BBO Discussion Forums: Exciting hand from Polish First Division Finals - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Exciting hand from Polish First Division Finals

#1 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2003-May-23, 08:30

I was just watching the exciting and excellent bridge event on the BBO vugraph (THANKS AGAIN FRED!!). When this, the last hand of a 12 board segment came up. This allowed me to watch it at one table, then at the other which was running a little slow. I have rotated the hands for purpose of illustration to put the declearer as South. They will be starting again in about 20 minutes.. ;)

IMPS,
VUL EW
DLR SOUTH
Championship pressure

NORTH
S-Q2
H-J984
D-A97
C-9742

SOUTH
S-AKT84
H-AT7653
D-3
C-J

Bidding at one table
S W N E
1S 1N P 2S
3H P 4H 5D
P P X all pass

At this table, the bidding was slightly different
S W N E
1S X P 2D
2H P 4H 4D
5H X all pass

The play begins CLUB ACE, EAST plays the 3. EAST continues the CLUB KING, which you of course ruff....

Now it is time to play the hand. You have a slight advantage over the declearer who didn't know about the 1NT overcall at the other table, but after the takeout double of 1S, and the vulnerable 5D bid, I think you should be on the right track anyway. Plan your play.

Ben
--Ben--

#2 User is offline   uday 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2003-May-23, 12:31

This particular vugraph isnt our doing; BBO is just a platform for most vugraphs, though we try to help them run smoothly.

It appears that

Ela - wojela on bbo
marek =marekw
grzegorz = libido
marcin =martpl

and the ones we all have to thank for all the work they put into this effort of production. And, of course, the nice-guy-commenators !

Sorry if I missed anyone ;)

#3 User is offline   rtewari 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2003-June-10, 02:06

I guess, you play LHO for 4-3-2-4 shape. LHO is certain to have all 3 hearts and to effect a trump endplay will also need to have 4 spades. Given that LHO is 4-3 in spades and hearts, the remaining cards are more likely to be 2-4 in diamonds and clubs as RHO is more likely to be 2-0-7-4 for his 5D bid. With 2-0-6-5 might have tried 5C.

Once you have decided on LHO's shape, the rest of the play should be simple. Enter with a spade, ruff a club, enter with diamond Ace, ruff a diamond. Cash spade A & K pitching a diamond from dummy. Ruff a spade in dummy and ruff a club in hand. On the assumed layout the remaining cards are

-
J98
-
-
-
KQx
-
-

T
AT
-
-

Now play spade T and west is endplayed.
RT

#4 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2003-June-10, 06:33

-
J98
-
-
-
KQx
-
-

T
AT
-
-

Now play spade T and west is endplayed.

Right you are well, done. The declearer at the table played for 2-1 hearts and ended up going down one. I was wondering when someone would post a solution to this one.

I had a very similar hand last night on BBO.

I was playing 4Sxx vul, with the following hands
KT
KJT42

AKT87
AK7
A42
Q5

RHO had bid Hearts (we used strong club and LHO doubled).

RHO showed up with spade nine (obvious stiff given the double). So pitch one heart on club, ruff a "good" club, ruff a diamond, and play spade in this ending...

S-5
H-2
D-void
C-T
S-QJ6
-
-
- S-KT8
H ---
D ---
C ---

4Sxx+1 = 1080 and +12.5 imps