BBO Discussion Forums: Ballancing enemy's preempt - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ballancing enemy's preempt Is this hand too weak?

#1 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2004-July-09, 05:21

Scoring: MP

pass (3) pass (pass)
?

I thought: I am short in clubs so it's my obligation to do something. My hand is not that terrible, given my initial pass. P may have a balanced 15 HCP, for example. Is it OK to bid 3 with this hand?

Most of you would probably havce opened this hand 2 but this p expects a little more from a first-seat preempt.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#2 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2004-July-09, 05:31

Need details on opps and state-of-match :)

#3 User is offline   Chamaco 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Chess, Bridge, Jazz, European Cinema, Motorbiking, Tango dancing

Posted 2004-July-09, 05:41

helene_t, on Jul 9 2004, 11:21 AM, said:

pass (3) pass (pass)
?

I thought: I am short in clubs so it's my obligation to do something. My hand is not that terrible, given my initial pass. P may have a balanced 15 HCP, for example. Is it OK to bid 3 with this hand?

Most of you would probably havce opened this hand 2 but this p expects a little more from a first-seat preempt.

To reopen vs an enemy preempt you need opening hand strength, either in hcp, or in distribution.

With shortness in enemy suit you can stretch a bit, but even if you want to balance only on distributional values, and not on hcp, you will need a 7-loser's hand.
Here you have a 9-loser hand, so the hand does not qualify (it doesn't even accounting for the much aggressive Zar points! :) ).
You should pass. Never bid over a preempt with a preemptive hand urself.

Cautiosness like this will bring you sometimes a few matchpoint bad scores, but that's life. Sometimes preempt do work ! :-)

In the long run, however, it will save you from other poor scores, as well as avoid major disasters and argues with partner.
"Bridge is like dance: technique's important but what really matters is not to step on partner's feet !"

#4 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-July-09, 06:12

whereagles, on Jul 9 2004, 06:31 AM, said:

Need details on opps and state-of-match :)

Opps were smoking and one of them brought her little puppy to the bridge club.

State of the match I dono. Had been drinking too much, maybe.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#5 User is offline   Trpltrbl 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sailing, cooking, bonsaitrees.

Posted 2004-July-09, 09:46

Something funky on this hand.
I have 9 loser hand and pd passed 3. My pd's tend to bid with something looking like a bid.
This is just not feeling right so I pass.

Mike :P
“If there is dissatisfaction with the status quo, good. If there is ferment,
so much the better. If there is restlessness, I am pleased. Then let there
be ideas, and hard thought, and hard work.”

#6 User is offline   EarlPurple 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2004-July-09, 10:04

I would have opened 2. It's tempting to bid just because it's matchpoints and nobody's vulnerable.

If partner has a trap-pass then he may have some values, but then we may be beating 3 with 3 going down. In that case I'd better double but I'm not going to. Not today.
You can't keep a good man down

#7 User is offline   luke warm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, poker, politics

Posted 2004-July-09, 12:12

probably not popular, but i'd double.. i'll know soon enough whether or not partner wants them in 3C
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#8 User is offline   whereagles 

Posted 2004-July-09, 12:43

Hum.. if opps are too absent-minded to double me, I might scrap a 3 bid :P

#9 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2004-July-09, 18:33

PASS! Hearts are poor, my hand is poor. 3H is fare too dangerous and X is insane.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#10 User is offline   luke warm 

Posted 2004-July-09, 19:02

why is it insane? say you x and pard bids 3D... or 3H, or 3S
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#11 User is offline   Chamaco 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-July-09, 19:29

luke warm, on Jul 10 2004, 01:02 AM, said:

Read this article of Mike Lawrence on bidding over preempts.
It is not specific to *balancing*, but you get the point, just assume that in balancing seat you can nudge the required strength by 2-3 hcp (according to optimism and luck :D )

http://www.bridge-fo...ce_lecture.html
"Bridge is like dance: technique's important but what really matters is not to step on partner's feet !"

#12 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2004-July-09, 19:32

Luke what if partner takes you seriously and passes the x or bids 3N - he does have C you know. Your meagre additions to your side's defensive quota are well below what should be expected. Sorry but you are living in cloud cuckoo land if you think partner can find a 3H bid here. You might get lucky and he might find a S bid, but even then you do not have much of a hand.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#13 User is offline   Chamaco 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-July-09, 20:03

luke warm, on Jul 10 2004, 01:02 AM, said:

if you double with your hand and pard has this very good hand:

AQTx
xx
KQJx
xxx

He will jump to 4 spades, when a forcing defence in hearts may be a disaster if you get doubled (remember, , after preempts you must assume bad trump splits, here 4-2 in spades- if you are lucky - most likely 5-1).

Then you may wish you had balanced 3 hearts, but your pard, with an opening hand will raise ur 3 hearts to 4 hearts most of the time.
E.g.Say you balanced with 3 hearts. With the following hand pard can do nothing but raise to game.

AQTx
Qxx
xxxx
AJ

Even this "dream hand" loses at least 2 trumps and 2 diamonds, probably not a spade.

There are many other even worse scenarios (you double, opps redouble, you have to bid and get crushed because responder of the preemptor had a nice -for them- 15 hcp with a void in pard suit) but I think u get the picture.

The bottomline is that if pard holds any hand that woould allow you to realize a partscore, he will raise you to game and you will go down.
If he passes your bid, you do not have enough for yuor partscore.
In both case, better pray not to be doubled and that your pard has not violent tendencies.... :D

#14 User is offline   luke warm 

Posted 2004-July-09, 20:38

ok, ok, i said it wouldn't be popular... and maybe it's even wrong... hell, maybe it's insane ... oh, on the lawrence link chamaco gave, i recognize the example 2S hand lawrence posted... bergen opened that 2S and the ops were cold for (i think it was) 6S

chamaco wrote:
if you double with your hand and pard has this very good hand:

♠AQTx
♥xx
♦KQJx
♣xxx
He will jump to 4 spades, when a forcing defence in hearts may be a disaster if you get doubled (remember, , after preempts you must assume bad trump splits, here 4-2 in spades- if you are lucky - most likely 5-1).

but my partner couldn't have that hand... he's already passed... the same with the other he posted:

♠AQTx
♥Qxx
♦xxxx
♣AJ

and as for what ron said, i guess it's possible partner has nothing to say but 3N or 4S or 5D or pass... why he can't bid 3D or 3H or 3S, i don't know... in any case, maybe x is wrong :D

#15 User is offline   Chamaco 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-July-10, 05:28

luke warm, on Jul 10 2004, 02:38 AM, said:

but my partner couldn't have that hand... he's already passed...

Yes, your pard with a 12-14 hcp hand, balanced, SHOULD pass in direct seat over a 3-level preempt.
Read better Lawrence's article about the "Rule of seven": in direct seat you bid assuming you find your pard with 7 "normal" hcp.
That means, usually that if you have a balanced hand you need a hand close to a reverse (not a minimum 12-14 opener hand, with a minimum opener you pass and wait for pard to balance), if have an unbalanced hand you need a 5.5 losers hand(you may stretch to 6 losers if you really like your hand) , more or less.

You can adjust the requirements but hat is important is that OVER A 3 LEVEL PREEMPT, IN DIRECT SEAT, A 13 COUNT PASS 99% OF THE TIMES.

the corollary to this is that if you hold a minimum opener and you pass, if your pard reopens you will bid game (in NT or in a suit).

Of course if you have the habit to play with bad partners that feel the urge to bid with 13 hcp over a preempt in direct seat only because they have a minimum opener, well... that does not apply :D

----------------

One more thing: your reopening has no logic even if you believe your pard to have less than an opening hand, otherwise with a minimum opener he would have bid, which I believe is a terrible agreement.

But let's assume you have this poor agreement.
Then your pard has at most about 10 hcp. You have 6 hcp.

That means that the opponents have at least 24 hcp, in the best scenario.
Why do you think your RHO passed his pard preempt if the has the strongest hand at the table ?
If he is a good player, he passed with a strong hand because he has nowhere to go: he does not see a major suit game, 5 of a minor gets too high, and 3NT in misfit in clubs rates to score no clubs if the opponents duck the first trick.
These misfit auction are terrible: who plays the hand is in trouble.
If you stick your nose in, I will hear the sound of your RHO shouting "DOUBLE!!" from my hometown in Italy. :D

If your opps are bad players, then RHO has passed because he does not have the skill and judgment to reach game even if it is there.
Balancing from you will reopen the bidding and give them a chance to bid game (how many times does that happen with palookas?) or to be doubled : they 'd score maybe less than game but still better than just 3C making.

#16 User is offline   luke warm 

Posted 2004-July-10, 06:31

oops, sorry looked at the bidding wrong

#17 User is offline   Cave_Draco 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-July-10, 09:05

helene_t, on Jul 9 2004, 11:21 AM, said:

pass (3) pass (pass)
?

I'm not keen on opening 2 on this but Non-V v V, I might give it a go, :D

One way of looking at this hand is "What will P infer from what I did NOT bid?"

1) You did not bid at the 1-level, therefore you do not have an opening hand.
2) You did not bid 2, therefore you do not have a Weak Two.

If you now bid 3, you are promising a 6-card suit but, in view of 2) above, not a Weak Two! The most likely reason is that you have a 4-card suit!
P will bid 3 if s/he is 4-1 in the majors!

If you double 3, you are doubling opponents into game! Where do you expect partner to run to?
Even if partner has a stack, you have ONE defensive trick! 3X looks to make; never gift your opponents a good score.

If it turns out that a number of s is the best contract... Apologise to partner and add "I didn't think that I was good enough for a Weak Two in s, :D "
"I know that there is only one power worth having. That is the power, not to take, but to accept; not to have, but to give."

#18 User is offline   whereagles 

Posted 2004-July-10, 12:16

Nobody cares anymore about side 4-card majors when preempting. I don't think pard is entitled to draw that inference unless your agreements specifically forbid the side spades.

Still, remember this is matchpoints. At imps it's a clear pass (at least to me).

#19 User is offline   Cave_Draco 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-July-10, 12:42

whereagles, on Jul 10 2004, 06:16 PM, said:

Nobody cares anymore about side 4-card majors when preempting. I don't think pard is entitled to draw that inference unless your agreements specifically forbid the side spades.

Still, remember this is matchpoints. At imps it's a clear pass (at least to me).

For an Advanced/Expert player... fair comment, :lol:

For a Beginner/Intermediate? I would maintain that Weak Twos should be disciplined!

The exact limits of a Weak Two are open to partnership agreement, but if I am playing with a Beginner/Intermediate player; my partner can trust that I have:

6-10hcp, mostly in the named suit.
6 cards in the named suit.
Less than 4 cards in the other major.

Yes, I will relax the discipline with a more advanced player, but I think Beginners/Intermediates appreciate a partner that they can trust.
"I know that there is only one power worth having. That is the power, not to take, but to accept; not to have, but to give."

#20 User is offline   Chamaco 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-July-10, 12:47

whereagles, on Jul 10 2004, 06:16 PM, said:

Matchpoints or IMPs, the important thing is to be consistent with agreements with pard.
Deviations are allowed within a reasonable range.

Balancing 3H should show an opening hand, either in strength or distribution.
But:
- if pard has a decent hand he will raise to 4H for sure and we'll go down even in hands where 3C goes down,
- if he has a bad hand we'll be doubled in 3H and get a bottom even at MP.

The sad truth is that here, even when 3H can be the par of the hand, there is no longer any way to reach it, as pard will go overboard.

Passing will save you from going overboard and from all the other hands where the hand simply belongs to the opps.
Needless to say, sometimes you'll get a zero, that's why people preempt.
One needs to learn to accept the occasional bad results from opps preeempt, and be disciplined to avoid the "bidding fever" that makes people bid with insufficient value just because opponents preempted.

Nevertheless, in bridge one should play the odds, and here the odds are that:
- bidding is wrong much more frequently than passing
- the cost of bidding when it is wrong is much higher than the cost of passing when it's wrong.

The lesson from these difficulties is : PREEMPT MORE OFTEN YOURSELF, and be less restrictive on the criteria for preempting; you 'll put opps in trouble much more often (and sometimes your pard, but with good agreenments preempting aggressively pays off more than the losses).

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users