Scoring: MP

RHO- Me -- LHO - Partner
(1♣) - 1♠ - (DBL) - Pass
(1NT) - Pass - Pass - 2♠
all pass

Contract: 2 By South

Never used the Hand Generator b4 and wanted to try it out. :P

----

This hand came up ummm last Thursday nite at local bridge drive duplicate. Was intrigued to see how people would play it.

(havent worked out how to include bidding sequence yet so any help appreciated :P)

----

East opened a playing a strong system (invariably shows a weak NT opening :lol: ) and you put your oar in with 1

LHO X showing 7+ points and (on p asking most likely 4+ ), opener rebids 1NT and your p bids 2 ending the auction.

----

LHO leads 6 (3rd and 5th) to his partners A who switches to Q

How would you play the hand henceforth?

Alex
gaudium est miseris socios habuisse penarum - Misery loves company.

#2 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2004-June-28, 13:55

So the auction was
RHO- Me -- LHO - Partner
(1) - 1 - (DBL) - Pass
(1NT) - Pass - Pass - 2
all pass

?

Ben
--Ben--

#3 User is offline   Trpltrbl 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Sailing, cooking, bonsaitrees.

Posted 2004-June-28, 14:14

My head hurts, will get back.

Mike
:D
“If there is dissatisfaction with the status quo, good. If there is ferment,
so much the better. If there is restlessness, I am pleased. Then let there
be ideas, and hard thought, and hard work.”

#4 User is offline   slothy 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2004-June-28, 14:23

Yup Ben

Whilst you ruminate over it...there was an explanation somewhere about putting bidding panel in Full hand records. any chance of a link buddy?

#5 User is offline   inquiry 

Posted 2004-June-28, 14:39

Use "edit" to see what I did to your initial post, where I placed the auction. The other way is just to type the auction into the comments after you place the hands using the guided mode.

Ben
--Ben--

#6 User is offline   inquiry 

Posted 2004-June-28, 14:48

I am going to believe he has the K as well, and from the low lead, a honor. Since they have 23 hcp and didn’t try for game, I think WEST is minimum and EAST is maximum. So give East 14 hcp and west 9. This trump switch is not helpful, in fact it is diabolical, as they can potentially stop all ruff in dummy.

This is MP, and they have let us play this when they hold 23 hcp. West didn’t double us, so he doesn’t have three spades, and that is supported by his partner’s 1NT bid. I also think East has a maximum for his 1NT call, since they sold out so cheaply, so give RHO 14 hcp.

How do we like our contract? Looks like both sides will have trouble making too much. Add to that if I pass this hand, they will probably get to 2NT (since they have 23 hcp), and that is surely down (losing 3. 1 and two black aces. And even if they stay low in 1NT, our going down one (-100) will lose out to their 1NT making (-90). Let’s not even contemplate down two (-200) as that will be near or absolute zero. .

On the other hand a +110 will be great score, so I will give up any thoughts of making 9 tricks and try to figure out how to make 8 (maybe I really should settle for 7). Ok, what do I think the hands might be?

Eight tricks are “available” on two ruffs, but the trump switch has put a halt to that idea, and might make even one ruff impossible, if they can pull two more rounds of trumps. But one ruff should give you 7 tricks (two minor aces, 1H, and 3 spades). Eight tricks might also materialize out of one club ruff and heart strip and a black suit endplay on West, to force a return from the king, or by elopement ruffing three red cards in your hand.

There isn’t much else to play for but that EAST has three QJx or maybe misplayed with four to the QJxx, and fly the A, cash the K and duck a club. Ideally when they win the club, they will not return a trump, but you know they will. We hope WEST wins the king and is out of trumps. Since we play him for K, he will return a or a . Win club in dummy, and ruff a , ruff a , lead the T and pitch your last club away. West, who we hope is 2-4-4-3 will now have to lead away from the K. We win 2, 3, 1, 1 and 1-ruff. I guess I am playing west to be something like Kx Qxxx Kxxx Jxx
--Ben--

#7 User is offline   slothy 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-June-28, 17:41

Q true card Ben

#8 User is offline   Trpltrbl 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-June-29, 16:57

Already got it up to 7 tricks, sigh, but I need 8.
Don't they know if I wanna pull trump i'll do it myself :rolleyes:

Mike :lol:

#9 User is offline   slothy 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-July-01, 10:55

Since no one bothered to put forward their opinion, :D besides Ben and a non-commital nudge from Mike shall say how i played it.

E took opening Lead of 6 with A and quickly switched to Q . I ducked and took the J continuation with A. I figured that i need a 3-2 trump break and the inability of opps to play a third round before i ruffed a .

Decided to play E for QJ or Qx of trumps. If i took A first round hoping for blockage will certainly get a though dummy if W gains lead, which would scupper my plan of endplaying E. I visualised an ending where i can strip E of exit cards and put him in with a and thus be forced to open s. If he has the K we take 2 s.

i now led T of playing E for at least 2 top honors. Cannot let W get in before dummy bereft of . W played low and i ducked in dummy. Does not gain for W to cover T; i just take A and play small. He never gets in having 1 card above T.

West won with J and returned . I won with K and played a small to A. ruffed a to hand, ruffed a (Ws K falling) and ruffed another , E discarding a .

The defence have won a , and a . I had won: , ruff and 2 ruffs. Hands are now:-

I exited with a and on fall of cards contract is guaranteed. I discard from dummy and E is end played, forcing to play a away from the K. It does West no good neither to ruff with K to avoid ps end play embarrassment as he is ruffing with a boss trump.

#10 User is offline   Trpltrbl 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-July-01, 15:57

I was going to say same thing, except I got called out to work.
Sigh, maybe next time :D

Mike :unsure:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users