BBO Discussion Forums: Significant bridge books & magazines - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Significant bridge books & magazines

#1 User is offline   H_KARLUK 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2009-August-26, 11:08

Could you please share with us where, when and which bridge books & magazines impressed you and how ?

Have you time to study new nice ideas ?

Thanks! :)
Hamdi
We all know that light travels faster than sound. That's why certain people appear bright until you hear them speak. Quoted by Albert Einstein.

#2 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2009-August-26, 11:32

Funny you should ask...

Yesterday I unexpectedly received a copy of a new book in the mail: "Expert Bridge Simplified" by Jeff Rubens. I read the first two chapters last night. From what I can tell so far, this book appears to be significant.

This book presents various practical approachs to solving bridge problems that require some knowledge of math. Rubens attempts to show that many such problems do not require any serious number crunching or a university degree to at least approximately solve.

For sure this book is not for everyone, but I suspect that a lot of Forums regulars will find it useful and interesting.

Rubens writes very well and has excellent credentials in both bridge analysis and math. His greatest claim to fame is arguably the work he has done in his capacity as the Editor of "The Bridge World" magazine (which I personally consider to be easily the most "significant" bridge magazine in history).

You can subscribe to The Bridge World or order Jeff's new book through:

Link to The Bridge World web site

I don't have a commercial interest in any of this :)

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#3 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2009-August-26, 11:50

fred, on Aug 26 2009, 08:32 PM, said:

Funny you should ask...

Yesterday I unexpectedly received a copy of a new book in the mail: "Expert Bridge Simplified" by Jeff Rubens. I read the first two chapters last night. From what I can tell so far, this book appears to be significant.

This book presents various practical approachs to solving bridge problems that require some knowledge of math. Rubens attempts to show that many such problems do not require any serious number crunching or a university degree to at least approximately solve.

In case people haven't heard, I'm working on the companion title: “Beginner’s Bridge Complicated”

This book shows how complex and often extraneous math can turn the most blindingly obvious bridge problem into an exercise in frustration.

Chapter 3, tentatively titled “The Application of Hidden Markov Models to ‘8 Ever, 9 Never’ “ is guaranteed to turn the strongest stomachs. Both bridge players and mathematicians will appreciate the poor punctuation, missing vowels, basic arithmetic errors, and overuse of clichéd stock phrases that characterize my work…
Alderaan delenda est

#4 User is offline   matmat 

• ded
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-August-26, 13:53

hrothgar, on Aug 26 2009, 12:50 PM, said:

fred, on Aug 26 2009, 08:32 PM, said:

Funny you should ask...

In case people haven't heard, I'm working on the companion title: “Beginner’s Bridge Complicated”

This book shows how complex and often extraneous math can turn the most blindingly obvious bridge problem into an exercise in frustration.

Chapter 3, tentatively titled “The Application of Hidden Markov Models to ‘8 Ever, 9 Never’ “ is guaranteed to turn the strongest stomachs. Both bridge players and mathematicians will appreciate the poor punctuation, missing vowels, basic arithmetic errors, and overuse of clichéd stock phrases that characterize my work…

as long as you can add a chapter about post-mortems that uses non-commutative rings, that would be great.

#5 User is offline   CarlRitner 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-August-26, 18:56

A few books I read at least once a year are

Morehead On Bidding, Albert H. Morehead (and/or the revised "On Bidding" text modernized by Philip Alder

To Bid Or Not To Bid - The LAW of Total Tricks, Larry Cohen

Bridge: Matchpoints, Kit Woolsey

Thinking About IMPs, John Boeder
Cheers,
Carl

#6 User is offline   karlson 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-August-26, 19:05

I'm sure someone will come along and mention that there's another books thread, but for the time being:

The book that first got me to go beyond counting my points was Mike Lawrence's Hand Evaluation. I will recommend it to anyone at the good beginner/intermediate level.

For declarer play and defense, I can't recommend anything by Hugh Kelsey enough.

#7 User is offline   Double ! 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:My personal interests are my family and my friends. I am extremely concerned about the lives and futures of the kids (and their families) that I work with. I care about the friends I have made on BBO. Also, I am extremely concerned about the environment/ ecology/ wildlife/ the little planet that we call Earth. How much more of the world's habitat and food supply for animals do we plan on destroying. How many more wetlands are we going to drain, fill, and build on? How many more sand dunes are we going to knock down in the interests of high-rise hotels or luxury homes?

Posted 2009-August-26, 22:40

Up until reading Fred's post, if asked which one book I would recommend, the answer would always be Jeff Rubens' "Secrets to Winning Bridge". He teaches a person "HOW" to think.

DHL
"That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!"

#8 User is offline   PeterGill 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-August-28, 08:42

Many of the greatest bridge books from 1950 to 1999 were written by some of
the era's greatest players - Reese, Forquet, Root, Lawrence, Larry Cohen etc.

In my opinion this decade has lacked books by the best players, except for one great book by Meckstroth. Perhaps the current stars are too busy playing pro, producing bridge software (Cohen, Woolsey etc) and doing other things,
and the market for bridge books is not as lucrative as it used to be.

Thus, my bridge reading is mostly older books, Reese and Lawrence classics which I'd overlooked earlier, with not many new bridge books adding new ideas for me.

The Bridge World is generally regarded as the top bridge magazine. There's some great material in Norwegian and Polish bridge magazines for those who can read those languages, and there are bridge magzazines from England, Australia and New Zealand which most people don't rate as highly as TBW. The Bridge Bulletin which the ACBL provides to its members similarly isn't generally rated as highly.

#9 User is offline   WesleyC 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-November-19, 08:04

Peter: Isn't it about time you put together your own bridge book? I offer my services as proof reader when you do :)

Hamdi: My favourite is "Bridge with the Blue Team" by Pietro Forquet. It isn't the most instructive book, but if you want to be impressed by pure bridge genius, it is a must read.

#10 User is offline   vuroth 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-November-19, 08:18

hrothgar, on Aug 26 2009, 12:50 PM, said:

It's a bit of a flooded market, I'm afraid. :)
Still decidedly intermediate - don't take my guesses as authoritative.

"gwnn" said:

rule number 1 in efficient forum reading:
hanp does not always mean literally what he writes.

#11 User is offline   cphastrup 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2009-November-19, 08:54

I am particularly fond of Mike Lawrence's books. He has a relaxed and humorous, but precise, style of writing - like an American Terence Reese, just a little less self-important.

- "The complete book of..." series. "Mike Lawrence actually wrote..." is often heard in pre- and post-mortems between me and my regular partner. Especially the books about doubles and overcalls are high on my list.

- "Play Bridge with Mike Lawrence". I love this book. It's an over-the-shoulder book where the reader follows Mike through an MP tournament. It's spiced with wry observations of opponents, partner, bidding disasters etc. I like how not every deal is a gem where Mike and partner shines. On the contrary, there are several complete bottoms, some of them so ridiculous that you can truly identify with them :-). I read that book every year.

- "How to Read Your Opponents' Cards".

"Partnership bidding" by Robson and Segal, good description of partnership style and -philosophy. While some of the specific bidding agreements don't suit me, it covers a lot of topics that need to be discussed in an ambitious partnership.

And there's Mollo. Suddenly I'm seing hogs, rabbits and toucans all over the club.

#12 User is offline   georgeac 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-November-21, 01:34

by recommendation here i have "killing defense at bridge" by kelsey. i really really like it.

#13 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2009-November-21, 01:40

I second the recommendation for anything by Mike Lawrence.

This month's Bridge World has a glowing review of "Expert Bridge Simplified", which Fred praised above. I'm planning on picking this up next week in San Diego.

#14 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2009-November-21, 01:43

barmar, on Nov 21 2009, 02:40 AM, said:

I second the recommendation for anything by Mike Lawrence.

This month's Bridge World has a glowing review of "Expert Bridge Simplified", which Fred praised above.  I'm planning on picking this up next week in San Diego.

I read this book a few months ago.

I did not post a review. I did not think my review as a nonexpert would be helpful to true experts. All I can say is I did spend money and I did spend weeks and weeks reading this book.

I think true experts may have something to say about this book.

My fav. bridge book remains Lawrence "How to read the opp cards"

Funny enough it seems harder today than.....20-30 years ago.

#15 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2009-November-21, 01:44

Adventures in Card Play
Bridge with the Blue Team
Books by Reese, David Bird and Victor Mollo.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#16 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2009-November-21, 01:48

The_Hog, on Nov 21 2009, 02:44 AM, said:

Adventures in Card Play
Bridge with the Blue Team
Books by Reese, (edit) and Victor Mollo.

I am not an expert but can highly, highly recommend these books by the HOG>

#17 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2009-November-21, 07:27

The bridge books that impressed me the most depends on the time in my life. But, a few:

Five weeks to Winning Bridge
Adventures in Card Play
Dormer on deduction
Matchpoints
Picture Bidding
Books by people with the last name Brock
Master Play
Partnership Bidding

I also really liked reading some very old books, like some Culbertson and Elwell and the like.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#18 User is offline   Old York 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:People, Places, Humour

Posted 2009-November-21, 11:29

My favourite book was by Rixi Marcus

This is because the title says it all, so there was no need to go to all that trouble of actually reading it :lol:

"Bid Boldly, Play Safe"

......but then, I prefer Imps

Tony
Hanging on in quiet desperation, is the English way (Pink Floyd)

#19 User is offline   Jlall 

• Follower of 655321
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:drinking, women, bridge...what else?

Posted 2009-November-21, 15:16

kenrexford, on Nov 21 2009, 08:27 AM, said:

The bridge books that impressed me the most depends on the time in my life. But, a few:

heh that was the first book I ever read.

#20 User is offline   TimG 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-November-21, 19:37

Jlall, on Nov 21 2009, 04:16 PM, said:

kenrexford, on Nov 21 2009, 08:27 AM, said:

The bridge books that impressed me the most depends on the time in my life.  But, a few:

heh that was the first book I ever read.

First book or first bridge book?

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users