• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Invitational 2D Something different over 1NT

#1 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2004-March-15, 09:09

Here is something else to think about besides on-line cheating. Tired of Jacoby? Unhappy playing 3 down one on the follwoing auction...

1NT-2 (jacoby)
2-3
Pass

Here is an idea that uses the pass/correct principle of paradox bidding. The basic idea is that responder signs off in a major over 1NT by simply bidding it at the two level (good for weak notrump people at least), 2 is normal stayman, but 2 is something special.. a general game invite that can include...

1) A long major
2) A balanced hand
3) A six card minor to two of the top three cards

Any of those, without a four card major.

Opener responds to this in a pass/correct mode. So that,

1NT-2
2.... would show no game interest in 's.

1NT-2
2.... would show game interest in , but not 's.

So that this would be a "Strong" game try in 's if you really wanted to give opener a second chance....

1NT-2
2-3
?

Finally,

1NT-2
3NT, and

1NT-2

Accepts all game tries.....

This free's up 2NT once again to be something else, and remember that game try hands with a minor are now no longer possible. When playing Invitational 2, I use 2NT, 3, 3, and 3 all as transfers. The 2NT, 3 can be weak (to play), or if responder bids again, game forcing. The 3 and 3 transfers are "jumping jacoby" showing game forcing hand (now you right side the hand for the game/slam contract with the rest of the field). Playing jumping jacoby, since opener knows game force is in effect, he doesn't have to accept the transfer. Playing 15-17 NT, I use the following responses to jumping jacoby.

1) Leap to game with 1 cover cards (side aces and KQ of the trump suit) plus fit, this is a warning of the poornes of my hand.
2) Leap to 4NT with 5 "cover cards" (This has to be KQ of trumps and three aces for 17 hcp)
3) Complete the transfer with 2-3 cover cards and "fit"
4) Cue-bid cheapest ACE with 4 cover cards and fit
5) Bid 3NT with no fit and other suits well stopped.

Note on the minor suit transfers..... like,

1NT-2NT
3-3, this shows game force with 4 and longer 's, so, you don't need stayman to show this hand either, thus 2 followed by a minor rebid is no longer forcing... exception, you can use 1NT-2, 2-3 as some form of major suit re-ask if you like as a 3 signoff no longer makes sense.

Ben
--Ben--

#2 User is offline   mink 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2004-March-15, 15:30

[/QUOTE]1NT-2♦
2♠.... would show game interest in ♠, but not ♥'s.
[QUOTE]

This makes no sense to me. Could it be that you meant,
"2♠.... would show game interest in , but not 's"?

Karl

#3 User is offline   inquiry 

Posted 2004-March-15, 15:42

Karl, you are correct.. that was a typo.....

I corrected it now...
--Ben--

#4 User is offline   Azzkikr 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2004-March-15, 19:36

But isnt the reason for transfers more so that the known hand the hand with values is getting the lead upto them? i mean if you have a non forcing hand and just want to play in 2H/S then the NT hand comes down and then the defense is in a better position to know what to lead through?

I understand the system you are offering, but most of that is just hand evaluation anyway, if you are going to go down in an invitational hand then so be it, you have at least an 8 card fit when pard bids 3H so you have a 6 / 2 fit at the least, i like my chance, sorry its a well thought out system but too much work with no percievable gain.
Just my 2 cents on this

#5 User is offline   keylime 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: FD TEAM
  • Interests:Motorsports, cricket, disc golf, and of course - bridge. :-)

Posted 2004-March-15, 19:48

I know some of the expert pairings around here in Tampa use this type of sequence:

1NT - 2D
3C (4 trumps, doubleton club, max)

With me, it depends on what NT range used. On a 10-12, two way Stayman does the trick. On a 13-15/14-16, 4 way transfers. On a 12-14, jury's split - some do, some don't.
"Champions aren't made in gyms, champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. " - M. Ali

#6 User is offline   Cascade 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2004-March-15, 21:58

Azzkikr, on Mar 15 2004, 10:36 PM, said:

But isnt the reason for transfers more so that the known hand the hand with values is getting the lead upto them? i mean if you have a non forcing hand and just want to play in 2H/S then the NT hand comes down and then the defense is in a better position to know what to lead through?

I think this is a secondary advantage of transfers at best.

The biggest advantage of transfers is that you can show many more hand types at a lower level.

e.g.
1. GF two-suiter

1NT 2
2 3...

Without transfers you cannot show this hand below 3NT with standard bidding.

2. Invitational hand with 5-card major

1NT 2
2 2NT...

With standard non-transfer methods you need to force to the 3-level to show this hand or pretend to only have a 4-card spade suit.

etc etc
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#7 User is offline   inquiry 

Posted 2004-March-15, 23:11

Azzkikr, on Mar 15 2004, 08:36 PM, said:

sorry its a well thought out system but too much work with no percievable gain.

Well, there are actually several places you can gain. For instance, for slam try, you begin with what I termed jumping jacoby at the three level. Since this is GAME FORCING, opener shows cover cards and degree of fit with his first reply. So by openers second bid, responder can often know if slam is in the hands or not. Without even bidding past four of the major for blackwood. So you gain on partscores where 2 makes and three doesn't. And slam tryish hands where 4M works but 5M doesn't. I will post some actual hands from play if anyone is interested.

Second, it frees up 3 for what Romex players know as CONFI, also a very nice convention to have.

Ben
--Ben--

#8 User is offline   keylime 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: FD TEAM
  • Interests:Motorsports, cricket, disc golf, and of course - bridge. :-)

Posted 2004-March-16, 00:48

CONFI? Now THAT'S a term from the past. Thanks for the trip down memory lane. Can't forget big brother, SUPERCONFIT either :-).
"Champions aren't made in gyms, champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. " - M. Ali

#9 User is offline   mikestar 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-March-17, 01:29

The transfer advantage of having the lead ride up to the NT bidder applies to signoff hands as well as game hands, but at the two level there is another factor--natural signoffs make it harder for the defense to intervene effectively, especially over the weaker NT ranges. Over a transfer, you have the option to pass and bid later and you have a cuebid at the two level. Over a natural signoff, you propably won't get a second chance and have to go to the three level to cuebid their suit.

#10 User is offline   joker_gib 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2004-March-17, 03:33

Hi Ben,

Interesting :D

What do you show with 1NT - 2 ?

Alain
Alain

#11 User is offline   Cascade 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2004-March-17, 04:29

joker_gib, on Mar 17 2004, 06:33 AM, said:

Hi Ben,

Interesting :D

What do you show with 1NT - 2 ?

Alain

Here is an idea that uses the pass/correct principle of paradox bidding. The basic idea is that responder signs off in a major over 1NT by simply bidding it at the two level

So 1NT 2 is a weak sign-off in spades.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#12 User is offline   joker_gib 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-March-17, 04:38

Oh yes I misread !

Tx Wayne
Alain

#13 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2004-March-17, 07:21

I like the idea, but I don't like to lose my constructive transfer in a minor (2 - lost - and 2NT). Otherwise it indeed gives more pressure on opps to intervene, and you can play in 2M.

BUT! What does partner bid when he has a 3 card support and absolutely minimum? Does he bid 2? How do you find the difference between a 5-2 and 5-3 fit on 2-level? And if you have a 5-3, you'll play 3 anyway (2NT rebid from responder right?). With s it's another story. After a 2 bid from opener, a 2 bid will show inv with 5 card . Opener can pass with a 3 card, or bid 2NT with a 2 card.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#14 User is offline   inquiry 

Posted 2004-March-17, 08:11

Free, on Mar 17 2004, 08:21 AM, said:

I like the idea, but I don't like to lose my constructive transfer in a minor (2 - lost - and 2NT). Otherwise it indeed gives more pressure on opps to intervene, and you can play in 2M.

BUT! What does partner bid when he has a 3 card support and absolutely minimum? Does he bid 2? How do you find the difference between a 5-2 and 5-3 fit on 2-level? And if you have a 5-3, you'll play 3 anyway (2NT rebid from responder right?). With s it's another story. After a 2 bid from opener, a 2 bid will show inv with 5 card . Opener can pass with a 3 card, or bid 2NT with a 2 card.

With all absolute minimums opener rebids 2 (well, absolute minimum but four you can bid 2 -- the implication here is clear. Opener likes 's and not 's.. so this is distributional based. Opener can be max with 3 and doubleton or good supporting hand for (but not ) and minimum.

If the bidding goes...

1N-2
2-?

And you have 5 and semi-balanced hand, you can try 2NT (weaker of your invite hands), or simply bid 3NT (better of your invite hands). Opener bids 3NT on max hcp and passes otherwise. The situation is a little different over a 2 response, as opener may actually have 's. You can pass with five or you can try for game with 2NT. And if you have a really strong game try with especially 6's you can now raise to 3.. i haven't found these re-game tries to be all that effective, nor the second chance stay out of game auctions...

1N-2
2-3

Where, 2= accepts game try, and 3 is are you sure? But like I said, these re-trys and second chance to stop auctions haven't improved the bidding much.
--Ben--

#15 User is offline   mikestar 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-March-17, 10:50

For anyone wanting more distributional accuracy in the majors at the cost of getting to the three level more often, I used to play invitational 2D with these rebids:

2H=doubleton heart, says nothing about strength.
--- 2S=5+spades, invitational.
--- 2N=5 hearts, invites 3N.
--- 3C/3D=6+ suit wtih 2 high honors.
--- 3H=6+ hearts, invitational.
2S=doubleton spade, 3+ hearts, says nothing about strength.
--- 2N=5 spades, invites 3N.
--- 3C-3D=as over 2H.
--- 3H=5+ hearts, invitational.
--- 3S=6+ spades, invitational.
2N=at least 3-3 majors, minimum.
--- 3C/3D as over 2H.
--- 3H/3S=to play
3C=at least 3-3 majors, no club honor, maximum.
--- 3D=as over 2H.
--- 3H/3S=forcing
3D=at least 3-3 majors, club honor, no diamond honor, maximum.
--- 3H/3S=as over 3C.
3H=at least 3-3 majors, honors in both minors, maximum, chooses 3N over 4H.
--- 3S=as over 3C.
3S=as 3H, but super maximum for hearts (4 cards and good controls).
3N=as 3H, but super maximum for both majors.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users