• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Over the shoulder... Spending Xmas loot

#1 User is offline   KungFuChkn 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2007-December-29, 09:09

*bows respectfully* Hello, everyone.

I've got some money from Christmas that I intend to blow on bridge books from Amazon.

I tend to enjoy, and think I learn the most, from 'over the shoulder' type books. I've got a wishlist posted, but I'd be interested in some suggestions from the group before I finalize the cart.

As I've mentioned before, my exposure is pretty limited - so a little group-think is helpful.

Thanks, KFC

#2 User is offline   Rossoneri 

• Wabbit
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2007-December-29, 09:46

Read the book reviews thread!
SCBA National TD, EBU Club TD

Unless explicitly stated, none of my views here can be taken to represent SCBA or any other organizations.

#3 User is offline   Rossoneri 

• Wabbit
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2007-December-29, 09:52

From your wishlist, I've read two books: Killing Defense at Bridge and Card Play Technique.

Both are excellent books, especially the latter. I passed a copy to one of my partners who was rather rusty, and within the month I noticed a lot of improvement in his play.
SCBA National TD, EBU Club TD

Unless explicitly stated, none of my views here can be taken to represent SCBA or any other organizations.

#4 User is offline   pclayton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2007-December-29, 12:25

Buy a bunch of old Bridge Worlds, but only after you have the entire Kelsey library.
"Phil" on BBO

#5 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2007-December-29, 13:41

Nice list. You may wish to add another defensive book or two since you defend twice as often as you declare.

Also of those on your list that I have, I didn't find "How the Experts Win at Bridge" to be all that useful.

.. neilkaz ..

#6 User is offline   rogerclee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-December-29, 16:20

I think that if you enjoy the narrative of over the shoulder style books, it is impossible for you to dislike Mollo's Menagerie books. They include some of the funniest and most imaginative plays I have ever seen.

#7 User is offline   Echognome 

• Deipnosophist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-December-29, 16:48

neilkaz, on Dec 29 2007, 11:41 AM, said:

Nice list. You may wish to add another defensive book or two since you defend twice as often as you declare.

Also of those on your list that I have, I didn't find "How the Experts Win at Bridge" to be all that useful.

.. neilkaz ..

Funny. I found it an excellent book and used quite a bit of material when teaching the university students. They liked it as well. What didn't you like about it?
"Half the people you know are below average." - Steven Wright

#8 User is offline   rogerclee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-December-29, 16:53

Echognome, on Dec 29 2007, 05:48 PM, said:

.. neilkaz ..

Funny. I found it an excellent book and used quite a bit of material when teaching the university students. They liked it as well. What didn't you like about it?

I agree. I read some of it and found it to be fairly good, and excellent for intermediate players. I definitely learned something from it, anyway.

#9 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2007-December-29, 21:08

If you like "over the shoulder" books, I just finished reading Sabine Auken's I Love This Game, and I thought it was great. The basic structure of the book is Sabine and Daniela playing the last segment of their Venice Bowl come-from-behind victory, with each chapter starting with a board from that segment and how it was played at each table (as well as the Bermuda Bowl final, which used the same deals). The hand then sparks discussion of a particular topic in bridge play, and she presents 3-4 other hands (some that she participated in, others from bridge greats like Zia) that demonstrate the subject.

Much of it is about the psychology of the game (hence, Zia gets mentioned quite a bit) rather than dry, technical play. Her style is very conversational and easy to read.

#10 User is offline   KungFuChkn 

• PipPip

Posted 2007-December-29, 21:30

Thanks to everyone who has posted a reply... I'm grateful.

Rossoneri said:
Read the book reviews thread!

I did... picked through it post by post a little while ago... So the wishlist has been updated.

This also gave me a goose to throw what I do have, just in case anyone's curious.

One thing I saw recommended repeatedly over in the review thread was the World Championship books. Where can one get a hold of these? Amazon seems to only have a couple... Baron Barclay?

pclayton said:
Buy a bunch of old Bridge Worlds, but only after you have the entire Kelsey library.

I'd absolutely *love* to pick up a few old BW binders. The trick is that a single year is more than my current budget. Anyone have some back issues they're willing to part with cheaply? As it is, The Bridge World subscription is on the birthday list.

Based on Phil's comment and others in the review thread, I'm thinking of grabbing a couple Kelsey titles (both defense books, and maybe another) with this round of cash.

Anyway, many humble thanks... Soon, I'll have a great library. I'll still be trash as a player, but my shelf will look impressive. Posted Image

Later, KFC

#11 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-December-29, 23:09

Echognome, on Dec 29 2007, 04:48 PM, said:

.. neilkaz ..

I rate it a B- as basically all it told me was to be aggressive when things call for it, which is my style and nature anyhow.

However, it is a good read for a serious intermediate partnership looking to advance towards adv/exp here on BBO.

Perhaps I was missing some of the messages in the book, and please all of you feel free to enlighten me as to what I've missed.

#12 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-December-29, 23:13

Re: your wish list. I have a couple of old Kantar Test Your Play Quiz Books. They are up north at my snowed in summer home so I cannot 100% recall the title.

Honestly unless you are a talented expert declarer they make a fine bedside read and you'll see many nice examples of endplays and other techniques.

.. neilkaz ..

#13 User is offline   KungFuChkn 

• PipPip

Posted 2008-January-07, 08:48

Good day, everyone.

I just wanted to close the loop on this thread. Thanks again to all the people who submitted suggestions here and privately.

Based on the advice I received, I just finished placing an order for Kelsey's Killing Defence, More Killing Defence, and Meck's Win the Bermuda Bowl. I wound up splitting the order (had to use a Border's gift card I got for the holiday) so I also picked up Kantar's Advanced Defense book to get the free shipping from Amazon. I'm looking forward to digesting them all over the coming weeks/months.

I also posed a question earlier in the thread re: the World Championship 'wrap-up' books. Just in case anyone else comes looking, some are available through Amazon, though Baron Barclay has them as well.

Thanks again, everyone. Happy New Year.

KFC

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users