• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Slow down, you move too fast...

#1 User is offline   KungFuChkn 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2007-October-22, 08:27

S'up, BBOFers?

Posting this here in the B/I because it seems to be the best 'fit' for the topic.

While there are a number of weak areas of my bridge game, I think one of the key problems is that I tend to bid/play too quickly. I operate without a particular strategy/plan for far too long and by the time I formulate one it's usually too late... The critical decisions are already past and I'm stuck.

I am reading/studying to work on particular aspects of my bidding and cardplay. I'd also like to start (now) working to discipline myself to think and plan more consistently. I'm looking to develop a 'pre-play/bid routine' that I mentally run down almost every time before clicking the mouse.

It strikes me there are four phases of the game: Bidding, opening lead, declarer play, and defense.

I wanted to get some thoughts from better players re: what you are asking yourself when you are planning... So, what would you counsel a player to consider before making their move in any of the aspects listed above?

If this sounds like an overly-mechanical, overly-analytical way to handle things, you're probably right. But that's how my mind is naturally wired and seems to be the right way to establish the right habits now (given my ability).

Thanks, KFC

#2 Guest_Jlall_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 2007-October-22, 16:57

In the play, the fundamentals for this stuff are very good. At trick 1:

1) Count your winners and losers.
2) What do you know about the opponents hands from the bidding and lead? Try to form a rough picture of the shape if possible.
3a) If it is a suit contract, figure out what you can do with your losers keeping step 2 in mind. You can get rid of your losers either by ruffing, discarding, or finessing. Sometimes a finesse or endplay will be a possibility.
3b) If you are in a suit contract figure out how to establish more winners, and where you need to establish them keeping step 2 in mind. Figure out if you have the tempo to do it, or if the opponents will establish their winners first.
4) Figure out how to execute your plan keeping step 2 in mind. What are the dangers? In suit contracts it's often a bad trump split or ruffs, in NT contracts it's often a danger suit or danger hand. Another thing to be careful about is your entry situation, don't get locked in a hand when you don't want to be. If you are in a dicey contract, figure out what you need to make a contract and play for it (assuming imps).

As the play progresses into the middle game, you will get a much clearer picture of the opponents hands. The play should become similar to a double dummy contract. At this point just figure out what you need to do to make the contract. If there are a few possible layouts I ask myself which is the most likely, or which I need, or which line takes into account the most possible layouts. This is kind of "freestyling" and you will often depart from your initial plan. Remember that most hands have a kill point where your play will be crucial, and try to recognize this point. Once the endgame comes you will just have to gather all the clues you have and figure out what to do.

Playing slower will help you eliminate stupid mistakes and get into better habits of thinking things through. I definitely recommend it to everyone (may sound hypocritical since I'm generally considered a super fast player, but I will also think for 5 minutes if I need to).

#3 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2007-October-22, 18:31

Good advice from Justin. I can only add that to me bridge is much like solving a puzzle - at each step along the way you have to be asking yourself the right questions to get the right answers.

There was a Bols tip once that said along these line (paraphrasing) "If you ever want to become anything at this game you must build up a picture of the unseen hands."

Therefore, other than forcing oneself to ingrain the habit of playing especially slowly at trick 1, my answer is that the process of thinking, analyzing, and counting is continuous until the conclusion of the hand.

But probably the best advice I ever heard came from Bill Passel: Never play a card without having a reason to do so.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#4 User is offline   KungFuChkn 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2007-October-23, 08:34

Thanks for the posts, guys...

Jlall, on Oct 22 2007, 05:57 PM, said:

Playing slower will help you eliminate stupid mistakes and get into better habits of thinking things through. I definitely recommend it to everyone (may sound hypocritical since I'm generally considered a super fast player, but I will also think for 5 minutes if I need to).

Exactly what I'm going for, Justin - habits and elimination of dumb plays (at least as far as my skill allows). My habit is to think up front 'a little' and then bombs away. To break this, I just want a mental checklist of questions to think about/answer before I allow myself to play. With practice, thinking that way will hopefully become less mechanical and more organic.

And thanks for the thoughts - those are a great start.

Winstonm, on Oct 22 2007, 07:31 PM, said:

Therefore, other than forcing oneself to ingrain the habit of playing especially slowly at trick 1, my answer is that the process of thinking, analyzing, and counting is continuous until the conclusion of the hand.

Yep. The trick is that I'm a little ignorant re: the types of things to 'ask myself'. By setting up an [admittedly wooden] checklist, at least I can start disciplining myself to think along the right lines.

But probably the best advice I ever heard came from Bill Passel: Never play a card without having a reason to do so.

I always have a reason, but I know I need better reasons that 'just seems right' or 'probably makes no difference' more often than not. :)

Thanks, folks. Much appreciated.

#5 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2007-October-23, 09:11

I see. Maybe I can offer some considerations for you.

As declarer, before playing to trick 1:

Review the bidding - bids as well as non bids leave clues
Analyze the lead - what type of hand would make that lead
Suit contracts: count losers - make a plan to eliminate losers
NT contracts: count winners - make a plan to increase winners

As defender:
Analyze the bidding - try to estimate hand shapes
Count dummy's points, your points, and declarer's guestimated range - what is left is what your partner might hold.
Estimate declarer's probable plan of play - try to find a way to thwart it.
As the play progresses, try to determine declarer's shape.
Count declarer's winners
Count declarer's losers
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users