A5
K764

2S by West - play or defend?

#2 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2003-December-12, 12:05

DEFEND... and take the money.... NS attack in the minors and south guards his master trump until just the right moment to pounce.

Ben
--Ben--

#3 User is offline   lenze 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2003-December-12, 12:16

My thoughts exactly, Ben. This is a hand that illustrates the power of the trump Ace on defence. Diamond King, Diamond Ace, Club King, Club Ace, Diamond Queen. South holds up the trump ace until the third round. Declarer is toast.
Please do not complain about my opinion. I don't have the time to convince you I'm right.

#4 User is offline   Deanrover 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2003-December-12, 13:28

OK. NS must take the first four tricks in the minors, followed by the Queen of Diamonds from North, South discarding a heart. North hold the Spade up until dummy is exhausted, and then fires a club through. Seems extremely extremely tough to find at the table after the auction 1s-p-2s-ppp

#5 User is offline   lenze 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2003-December-12, 14:00

OK. NS must take the first four tricks in the minors, followed by the Queen of Diamonds from North, South discarding a heart. North hold the Spade up until dummy is exhausted, and then fires a club through. Seems extremely extremely tough to find at the table after the auction 1s-p-2s-ppp

WHY?
Taking the club tricks is irrelavent. The key is to play the third diamond, reducing west to 4 trumps. As for south's holding up the trump Ace, it is ALMOST ALWAYS RIGHT to duck the first two trump leads when holds Axxx!!
Please do not complain about my opinion. I don't have the time to convince you I'm right.

#6 User is offline   luke warm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, poker, politics

Posted 2003-December-13, 08:12

i'm trying to see how this would work in practice.. what would north lead? DK? ok, what does south play? say the A, then low back.. in practice what would north do?.. i bet he'd lead the DQ, not lead a club.. let's say he does and west pitches a club (he doesn't trump).. now it's north's lead, they have 3 tricks and dummy's D10 is high

what exit? low club to partner, west trumping.. heart to board, spade to king, spade queen, heart to board (if south ducks the SA).. now D10 tossing a heart or over ruffing

i might have lost something in all that, but in practice it might not be all that easy seeing the necessity to take 2 diamonds and 2 clubs first

lenze thinks it isn't necessary, and maybe it isn't.. but it seems to be the only way to set it
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#7 User is offline   Trpltrbl 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sailing, cooking, bonsaitrees.

Posted 2003-December-29, 10:57

i'm trying to see how this would work in practice.. what would north lead? DK? ok, what does south play? say the A, then low back.. in practice what would north do?.. i bet he'd lead the DQ, not lead a club.. let's say he does and west pitches a club (he doesn't trump).. now it's north's lead, they have 3 tricks and dummy's D10 is high

what exit? low club to partner, west trumping.. heart to board, spade to king, spade queen, heart to board (if south ducks the SA).. now D10 tossing a heart or over ruffing

i might have lost something in all that, but in practice it might not be all that easy seeing the necessity to take 2 diamonds and 2 clubs first

lenze thinks it isn't necessary, and maybe it isn't.. but it seems to be the only way to set it

If opps overtake D king with the ace I wanna declare. Since I will have no problem whatsoever after that. ;D

Mike ;D
“If there is dissatisfaction with the status quo, good. If there is ferment,
so much the better. If there is restlessness, I am pleased. Then let there
be ideas, and hard thought, and hard work.”

#8 User is offline   EarlPurple 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2003-December-31, 08:26

play it. Even though I'm going 1 down, NS are cold for 3NT so it's going to be a good score.
You can't keep a good man down

#9 User is offline   Trpltrbl 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sailing, cooking, bonsaitrees.

Posted 2003-December-31, 10:02

play it. Even though I'm going 1 down, NS are cold for 3NT so it's going to be a good score.

Cold for 3 NT ? Maybe y see some very starnge squeeze I haven't heard of but otherwise I only see 8 tricks for declarer and that is assuming that they play the clubs for no losers. :-X

Mike ;D
“If there is dissatisfaction with the status quo, good. If there is ferment,
so much the better. If there is restlessness, I am pleased. Then let there
be ideas, and hard thought, and hard work.”

#10 User is offline   lenze 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2003-December-31, 11:30

I suggest down 2!!

I do not understand the problem with defending this hand. North is VERY likely to lead the Diamond King. South, looking at Txxx on dummy, can not afford to over take. North will lead a second diamond. With no options left, South will switch. Neither a trump nor heart looks attractive, so a club is the logical choice. Might as well lead the King. When if holds, South will continue to North’s Ace. North will now conclude that if South has the Heart Ace, it can not go away, so he will focus on promoting trump tricks. The lead of the third diamond is automatic. West will ruff, and after South holds up the trump Ace twice, West will be down two. YES, I know that West can get out for down 1 by discarding on the diamond Queen, but NO competent declarer would make that play, as it gives up the chance to make the contract when trumps break 3-2.

BTW: As South, I can make 3NT IF I guess the Club suit. I'm not a very good guesser, however.

#11 User is offline   EarlPurple 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2003-December-31, 12:04

Cold for 3 NT ? Maybe y see some very starnge squeeze I haven't heard of but otherwise I only see 8 tricks for declarer and that is assuming that they play the clubs for no losers. :-X

Mike ;D

I see 5 club tricks, 3 diamonds and the ace of spades. Of course I'm lucky that hearts are 4-4 and clubs 2-2, but 5C is also cold and that only relies on bringing in trumps and not on a 4-4 heart split.

#12 User is offline   EarlPurple 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2003-December-31, 12:10

YES, I know that West can get out for down 1 by discarding on the diamond Queen, but NO competent declarer would make that play, as it gives up the chance to make the contract when trumps break 3-2.

As declarer, having led the king of spades and seen the ten fall, I will already be suspicious of a 4-1 break. When I lead a low spade to the 9 it will be confirmed. South has to duck this or I make the contract, and now I know the full position and can lead the diamond from dummy (after cashing two hearts) to ensure just a 1-trick set.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users