#1 User is offline   Deanrover 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2003-December-08, 12:54

Your partner tables

AKQ76
AK54
K98

after your LHO opens 1d, all non. p doubles, RHO redoubles, and you bid 1S. LHO jumps to 3d, p bids 4S, and RHO doubles.

The opening lead is the King of Diamonds and your hand is the mammoth

T952
T53
T7653

The opening leads wins, RHO contributing the 4. Plan the play on the Jack of Hearts continuation.

#2 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2003-December-08, 13:22

I had the advantage of being a kibitizer on this hand. So I will not answer, although it is not that easy to make.

First an added note, they lead the ACE from ACE king. So it appears as if opener has KQJ long in diamonds, and heart JTx(x). RHO appears to have four (or maybe 5) hearts to the queen and the doubleton (from bidding and play Ace of diamonds). LHO had best have the club ACE or your toast. So with that help, making this essential double dummy, continue with the most excellent problem.

Ben
--Ben--

#3 User is offline   keylime 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: FD TEAM
  • Interests:Motorsports, cricket, disc golf, and of course - bridge. :-)

Posted 2003-December-08, 13:57

Ok I confess, I'm the declarer of this tough hand! Let me shed some light on what I was thinking to help matters along...

1. What happens if LHO has this hand type: 1-3-5-4? Then my worse nightmare is about to happen if LHO got the AQJx over there with dummy showing up with K9x and me having 10-8-x-x-x.

2. I was playing for down one, not to make, because I didn't think at the other table the result was going to turn up 2SX+2! So, a down 100 to my little pea brain, was good bridge, and may win it for us, since we led by 4 imps.

3. My nerves were very self-evident. I'm playing with a top-class player in skill and personality, did I want to fail him? Furthermore, the opps were of high quality as well, so -100 would be a great score, never in my mind did the thought of "making" it with my horrid hand ever crossed my mind. For me to take about 4 minutes to get the hand working, when I'm known as a relatively fast player, spoke volumes!

With those thoughts in mind, and now knowing the hand can make, try to do what I didn't do - be a hero! :)
"Champions aren't made in gyms, champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. " - M. Ali

#4 User is offline   flytoox 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2003-December-08, 14:01

You hold

AKQ76
AK54
K98

and your RHO opens 1d, all non. You choose to double, LHO redoubles, and partner bids 1S. RHO jumps to 3d, you bid 4S, and LHO doubles.

The opening lead is the King of Diamonds and your partner tables to mammoth

T952
T53
T7653

The opening leads wins, LHO contributing the 4. Plan the play on the Jack of Hearts continuation.

Take HA in dummy, cashing sa. cashing hk, discarding dx from hand, ruffing h back to hand, ruffing dx in dummy, then lead hx from dummy, ruff with sT. Lead cx to dummy, if LHO play small, play small from dummy too.

Opener's hand shld be sth like:

S;-
H:JXX
D:AKQXXXX
C:QXX

#5 User is offline   Deanrover 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2003-December-08, 14:13

Not sure how your line can make flytoox, even if the distibution is like that. RHO gets two clubs plus a spade, to go with the diamond they have already won.

#6 User is offline   flytoox 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2003-December-08, 14:52

Not sure how your line can make flytoox, even if the distibution is like that. RHO gets two clubs plus a spade, to go with the diamond they have already won.

u r right. he can throw out with a heart.

so let's play opener with 0463. discarding cx from hand, and striping d and h, lead cx to dummy.

#7 User is offline   Deanrover 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2003-December-08, 15:20

Right - so you cash a spade, then ruff two hearts and a diamond, before trying to endplay Easy. You are now down to

AK7

T

in spades, so East can simply exit with the Jack of spades.

#8 User is offline   flytoox 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2003-December-08, 15:36

Right - so you cash a spade, then ruff two hearts and a diamond, before trying to endplay Easy. You are now down to

AK7

T

in spades, so East can simply exit with the Jack of spades.

Hehe, you are right. i will come back to u later:)

#9 User is offline   luke warm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, poker, politics

Posted 2003-December-08, 18:20

You hold

AKQ76
AK54
K98

and your RHO opens 1d, all non. You choose to double, LHO redoubles, and partner bids 1S. RHO jumps to 3d, you bid 4S, and LHO doubles.

The opening lead is the King of Diamonds and your partner tables to mammoth

T952
T53
T7653

The opening leads wins, LHO contributing the 4. Plan the play on the Jack of Hearts continuation.

why didn't lho lead a club at trick 2? ... whew.. i guess i'd take HA, trump a H and lead a club, planning on playing lho for A doubleton.. that means i can't cover the Q or J if lho plays it.. this probably ends up down 2 but i guess that's what i'd do.. if lho wins (for example) the CQ and leads another heart, i'd play low from hand and trump on the board, draw trumps (hoping for 3/2) ... i think then i'm

K
-
K,9

then lead a low club.. that doesn't seem right, does it? but it has the advantage of me keeping fairly sane
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#10 User is offline   Deanrover 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2003-December-08, 21:08

;D Still nobody has got the problem correct. What a corker :0

#11 User is offline   badderzboy 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2003-December-09, 05:40

Pardon my inexperience but I would try the following...

Following the J Heart, win with King H, A S & K S - hopefully Jack falls with 2-2 split or is in hand with 3+ hearts... ruff low heart with S9, then club ruff back to hand and heart ruff back to dummy with 10S to dummy leaving..

S Q7
H A
D void
C K98

S -
H -
D T
C T7653

Finesse K C and if it works SQ to draw last spade if they broke 3-1 then A H losing last two clubs and 1st trick...

I know it's bound to be the wrong way but I've been told play the cards to be where you need them to be if it's the only way you can see to make the contract...

Steve

#12 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2003-December-09, 06:01

Seems to me that you only need 1 trick in C (and 2 ruffs) to make your contract. So I'll take HA, and play SA. If trumps are 3-1 or 2-2 I'm getting a nice feeling. Ruff a small H and play C10 and let it go. If the Q or the J of Clubs are in front of my King, I'll make my club trick, because I'll continue with a trump and ruff a Heart, play C again, hoping that the 3 card C doesn't have the ace, and the doubleton club doesnt have a 3rd spade. If they somehow manage to get my trumps away, then I'll play CK to pinpoint the Q or J.

Free
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#13 User is offline   LukeG 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2003-December-09, 08:07

I would play heart Ace, spade Ace, heart ruff with 9, low club intending to play the King if LHO ducks. When I next get to dummy, with club King or diamond ruff, heart ruff with 10, trump to dummy. I will accept the risk of heart overruff by LHO and guard against trump promotion for RHO's Jxx.
Luke Gillespie

#14 User is offline   inquiry 

• Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2003-December-09, 08:10

It seems like my hints didn't help anyone so far. Let's review. West opened the bidding and then jumped (over 1S after his partners rdbl) to 3D. RHO now doubles 4S.

They lead ACE from ACE-KING. SO RHO has the diamond ACE. West leads then leads the heart JACK and EAST plays high (attitude).

So at this point, you know that EAST has the HEART QUEEN and the DIAMOND ACE. You know that WEST has opened the bidding and has JUMPED.

The remaining unknown face cards are the club AQJ and SPADE JACK.

Imagine the club ACE with RHO behind the king. That gives west something like...

S-x
H-Jxxx
D-KQJTxx
C-QJx

Come on. Is this an opening bid, much less a then jump to 3D. Clearly WEST has the club ACE (which is good for us, actually, as makes club KING a winner).

So West has the club ACE. What in the world is EAST doubling 4S on. The ACE of diamonds and two queen's? Not very likely. The hand is an open book. East must have all four spades. That is the key point to the hand. Once you figure that out, the play becomes very entertaining. West with club ACE, EAST with Four SPADES. Start with that and see where it gets you.

Ben
--Ben--

#15 User is offline   flytoox 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2003-December-09, 10:54

I would play heart Ace, spade Ace, heart ruff with 9, low club intending to play the King if LHO ducks. When I next get to dummy, with club King or diamond ruff, heart ruff with 10, trump to dummy. I will accept the risk of heart overruff by LHO and guard against trump promotion for RHO's Jxx.

Aha, I missed the point. I thought the opener has da and hence think RHO must have ca. Now it is clear opener has ca.

Ok, let me try one more time.

take HA, ruff hx back, lead cx toward dummy. whether LHO take ca or not, strip h and ruff one round d, discarding d on hk. then c throw out. RHO will be endplayed.

#16 User is offline   LukeG 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2003-December-09, 12:53

Keep in mind that if trumps are 4-0, and that you ruff two hearts in your hand, leaving 109 of trumps opposite AKQ7x, and then manage to throw in RHO, he will defeat you by returning the Jack of trumps from his original J8xx.
Luke Gillespie

#17 User is offline   flytoox 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2003-December-09, 19:41

Keep in mind that if trumps are 4-0, and that you ruff two hearts in your hand, leaving 109 of trumps opposite AKQ7x, and then manage to throw in RHO, he will defeat you by returning the Jack of trumps from his original J8xx.

he wont, dummy left with akqx, u have t9 at hand.

#18 User is offline   bhugi 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2003-December-10, 02:24

Ok I confess, I'm the declarer of this tough hand! Let me shed some light on what I was thinking to help matters along...

1. What happens if LHO has this hand type: 1-3-5-4? Then my worse nightmare is about to happen if LHO got the AQJx over there with dummy showing up with K9x and me having 10-8-x-x-x.

2. I was playing for down one, not to make, because I didn't think at the other table the result was going to turn up 2SX+2! So, a down 100 to my little pea brain, was good bridge, and may win it for us, since we led by 4 imps.

3. My nerves were very self-evident. I'm playing with a top-class player in skill and personality, did I want to fail him? Furthermore, the opps were of high quality as well, so -100 would be a great score, never in my mind did the thought of "making" it with my horrid hand ever crossed my mind. For me to take about 4 minutes to get the hand working, when I'm known as a relatively fast player, spoke volumes!

With those thoughts in mind, and now knowing the hand can make, try to do what I didn't do - be a hero! ;)

heeee ~ this is the interesting hands from the team match "bhugi & friends"
;D
On my table I am playing with a randomly pick up partner, after 2S(X) I know we can chase back. B)

#19 User is offline   bhugi 

• PipPip

Posted 2003-December-10, 02:32

It seems like my hints didn't help anyone so far. Let's review. West opened the bidding and then jumped (over 1S after his partners rdbl) to 3D. RHO now doubles 4S.

They lead ACE from ACE-KING. SO RHO has the diamond ACE. West leads then leads the heart JACK and EAST plays high (attitude).

So at this point, you know that EAST has the HEART QUEEN and the DIAMOND ACE. You know that WEST has opened the bidding and has JUMPED.

The remaining unknown face cards are the club AQJ and SPADE JACK.

Imagine the club ACE with RHO behind the king. That gives west something like...

S-x
H-Jxxx
D-KQJTxx
C-QJx

Come on. Is this an opening bid, much less a then jump to 3D. Clearly WEST has the club ACE (which is good for us, actually, as makes club KING a winner).

So West has the club ACE. What in the world is EAST doubling 4S on. The ACE of diamonds and two queen's? Not very likely. The hand is an open book. East must have all four spades. That is the key point to the hand. Once you figure that out, the play becomes very entertaining. West with club ACE, EAST with Four SPADES. Start with that and see where it gets you.

Ben

I want to answer but I am one of the player of that match, so I will keep silent B)

#20 User is offline   Felix 

• PipPip

Posted 2003-December-10, 03:38

Ok, taking Ben's lead
On the D lead, and H return, we play AK of H, ruff H, and lead a club up. Now, if opener wins and returns a club we win in dummy, ruff a H, ruff a D, and get out with the third club endplaying W who is down to just spades. If W returns a D it's funnier still, we ruff, cash the KC ruf the last H and ruff a D high, then we lead the last club and what's poor E to do?
If opener ducks, it's no better, we win in dummy, ruff H, ruff D and get out a club to E blank Ace. ruff the D return high and it's the same position as before when we lead the last club
This line works assumes opener is - J10xx KQJxxxx Ax which seems very likely on the bidding. I can't find a line that works when opener is - J10xx KQJxxx AJx as well, but it doesn't seem likely he has this hand.
One last point, on my construction W could beat us leading the CA and continuing clubs (it messes up the entries for ruffing Hearts)
Felix

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users