• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Good Idea #8

#1 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2003-March-26, 02:10

Another beginner/intermediate hand: this one is more intermediate than beginner as you will see from the table of results at the bottom of the message, showing that only 4 out of 12 declearers (25%) took 10 tricks (or more) in hearts, but not all had the clue from the double. As an aside, two of the four who made it, made it though poor defense rather than finding the correct play.

Vul NS
S-96
H-1082
D-AQJ6         N-S hands were reversed originally
C-7652         Now corrected after Rain pointed

out the error... Thanks Rain
S-AQ2
H-AKJ96
D-K843
C-T

EAST SOUTH WEST NORTH
PASS 1H PASS 2H
PASS 3D PASS 4H
PASS PASS DBL PASS
PASS PASS

Opening lead. CLUB KING

TRICK W N E S
1 CK-C2-C3-CT (C3=come on)
2 CA-C5-C8-
H6
3 H3-H2-H4-HA

Plan your play. The results of this hand (note I rotated the hands above for the reader... The south hand was held by WEST at the real table).
5HWx-3 800
4HWx-2 500
4HWx-2 500
4HWx-2 500
4HWx-2 500
6DEx-2 500
4HW-2 200
5HWx-1 200
4HW-2 200
2SS= 110
4HW-1 100
2HW+2 -170
1HW+4 -200
4SSx-3 -500
4HW+1 -650
4HWx= -790

--Ben--

#2 User is offline   Rain 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2003-March-26, 21:10

Vul NS  
                  S-AQ2
                  H-AKJ96
                  D-K843
                  C-T

S-96
                  H-1082
                  D-AQJ6
                  C-7652

EAST  SOUTH WEST  NORTH
PASS   1H   PASS   2H
PASS   3D   PASS   4H
PASS  PASS  DBL   PASS
PASS  PASS

Opening lead. CLUB KING

TRICK W N E S
  1  CK-C2-C3-CT  (C3=come on)
  2  CA-C5-C8-H6
  3  H3-H2-H4-HA

Hi. Lemme try my luck again  ;D

1) I will switch the hand entirely around ok?  So declarer = south to me.  

2) West didn't overcall initially, despite the fav vul.  This suggests a maximum of 13 or so points, with no long suit, specifically, a max of 4 spades, hearts, or clubs. (Since with Kxxxx he may be tempted to overcall 1S).  His penalty x at the end also suggests that he has Qxxx in hearts.   ie, a 4414 distribution or 4423.  I think this contract is quite dead with 4441 distri.  If west has 2 diamonds though, perhaps there is a chance.  

3) After the first 3 tricks, we established that at worst, hearts is 4-1, and KS is likely with west.  

4) This seems to be about retaining trump control, given bad break.  (I apologise for my less than erudite analysis, all advice welcome  :) )

5) If indeed, west has 2 diamonds, 4 clubs, I can do a sort of dummy reversal, because then I have enough entries to ruff out west's 4 clubs, losing eventually only to AC, QH, 7H.  West will then have to lead into my AQS.  I will then take 5 Trump tricks (AKH from drawing trumps, the rest from ruffing out clubs), 3 Diamond tricks (Lose 1 to west if she ruffs with 7H) and AQS.  

6) If west has 2 diamonds, 3 clubs, I can still do this.  I will draw another round of hearts first though, so that if west overruffs later when I ruff my 4th club, it'll be with good QH, and my dummy's 10H will be good.  

7) Actually, given bidding, I thought west looked very likely to have 4414 distribution.  But there is no way of making that unless KS onside, which doesn't seem to be the case, right?

Hehe thats all I can think about anyway, hope to see the answer soon...don't make me wait too long ok Ben?  :)

Woof

Rain
"More and more these days I find myself pondering how to reconcile my net income with my gross habits."

John Nelson.

#3 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2003-March-28, 14:18

Vul NS
               S-96
               H-1082
               D-AQJ6          
               C-7652          

S-AQ2
               H-AKJ96
               D-K843
               C-T

EAST  SOUTH WEST  NORTH
PASS   1H   PASS   2H
PASS   3D   PASS   4H
PASS  PASS  DBL   PASS
PASS  PASS

Opening lead. CLUB KING

TRICK W N E S
  1  CK-C2-C3-CT  (C3=come on)
  2  CA-C5-C8-H6
  3  H3-H2-H4-HA

I've been told my answers are to long  :) :) :). So I will try short versions from now on (only 100,000 words).
[index]
[*] 1) Dbl suggest 4-1 trump split
[*] 2) 4H+1S+4D+1S ruff = 10 tricks, but if you try that, you lose control, when they win SPADE, they will force you in C's so you lose 2HEARTS, 1CLUB and 1SPADE
[*] 3) C-AKx(X) H-Qxxx probably not enough to assure 4Hx down so play WEST for SK
[*] 4) Play to endplay WEST for forced SPADE lead. Start by eliminating his exit cards in club.

Winning line is obviously number 4. Cash second top HEART (EAST OUT). Diamond to the QUEEN, ruff a club, DIAMOND 8 to JACK, RUFF a club. West can overruff if he likes, but then has to return a SPADE or not. You will have won 4HEARTS in your hand (AK and two ruffs)... the overruff give you a good H in dummy (dummy reversal) for 5H+4D+1S if West leads a trump, and if he doesn't return a trump, he has to lead a SPADE, so you win two spades after all.... they willl just score their trump. Win SPADE and play on diamonds.... If no club overruff.. cash D... if no D ruff, throw WEST in with the trump.....

S-96
               H-1082
               D-AQJ6          
               C-7652          
S-Kxx                    S-xxxxx
H-Qxxx                   H-x
D-xx                       D-Txx
C-AKx                    C-QJxx                      
               S-AQ2
               H-AKJ96
               D-K843
               C-T

Let me know if short is really better than long...
--Ben--

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users