Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Playing 4-3 Fits

#1 User is offline   pbleighton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2003-October-29, 19:18

Now that I'm playing 4 card majors (though a weird version) for the first time, I find myself confronted with more 4-3 major suit fits than before.

Do you have any pointers on playing them, other than don't be in a hurry to draw trumps. A link would be great.

If it makes a difference, they will almost always be at the 2 level, with the opener having 10-13 hcp (we raise on 3).

Peter

#2 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2003-October-29, 20:39

That's exactly the point in a 4-3 fit: don't draw trumps too soon.

Other tips I can't give, except to put the trumps 4-2 or worse in your opponents hands, and try to make your contract with that information. The opponent which ruffs something normally has the long trumps, so if he ruffs 1 or 2 times, you might be able to draw trumps.

It's like playing a 4-4 or 5-3 fit without the 8th trump and without drawing trumps. Count your losers and make the best out of it. Try to ruff with the 3-card trump.

A 4-3 fit can make slams (rare occasion though), even when you have a 9-card fit in another suit (I've read a while ago an article about a situation where the best Belgian player bids 6D in a 4-3 fit - after a weird bidding sequence - with a 5-4 fit H and he's the only one who makes slam).

Free
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#3 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2003-October-30, 14:24

Couple of issues.

1) Trump control.
2) Can they force you in the "long hand"?
3) Playing them only at the 2 level is not high enough

At matchpoints, 4-3 fits can earn you many, many matchpoints. At one tournment in Norfolk VA, I played in 5 4-3 major fits. All five were 80% scores or more. The opponents played in a 4-3 fit against me, and I got a zero. In the last Abalucy tournment I played in, the oppenents played in a 4-3 fit and I got a 0%. Don't be afraid of 4-3 fits, look for them!!!

The best reason to choose a 4-3 fit is weakness in a side suit that the hand with 3 trumps is short in, so the force is in the short suit hand. Generally, you may have a running side suit. With this in mind, you may have to duck a trump or two (keeping one in short hand to prevent a cashout against you), then pull trumps.

Ben
--Ben--

#4 User is offline   luis 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2003-October-31, 06:58

Hi,

Basically there're two strategies for 4-3 fit contracts.

1) Control
2) Scrambling

Control:
In Control mode you will want to keep control of the hand and draw trumps at the appropiate time, usually you should stablish a side suit or winners outside trumps and the proceed to draw trumps to claim you contract.

Scrambling:
In scrambling mode you try to win your contract using your trumps for ruffs, sometimes ruffing with both the long and short trumps and thus losing control of the hand. Cashing/stablishing side winners before scrambling is usually important.
The legend of the black octogon.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users