• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Find Papatgreek's play

#1 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2003-February-27, 16:46

Imps, both sides vul. Another BBO bridge game.

North
AJT632
AKQ65

South
K7
K9
AKJT76
JT8

Bidding...  
South West North East
1NT     Pass   2H    Pass
4NT     Pass   5H    Pass
6S       All Pass                (auction corrected after easy pointed out that I didn't finish the auction)

Papatgreek was my partner and this was the real world bidding. You may not agree with his opening bid, but see if you agree with his line of play.  The opening lead was the HEART-ACE and West switched to a low diamond QUEEN and your ACE.  Plan your play
--Ben--

#2 User is offline   easy 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2003-February-28, 04:00

Imps, both sides vul. Another BBO bridge game.

North
AJT632
AKQ65

South
K7
K9
AKJT76
JT8

Bidding...  
South West North East
1NT     Pass   2H    Pass
4NT     Pass   5H    All Pass

Papatgreek was my partner and this was the real world bidding. You may not agree with his opening bid, but see if you agree with his line of play.  The opening lead was the HEART-ACE and West switched to a low diamond QUEEN and your ACE.  Plan your play

Before i attempt to play this hand. am i really playing 5H in my 1 - 2 fit??
This game never ceases to intrigue me!!

#3 User is offline   inquiry 

Posted 2003-February-28, 04:53

Thanks easy. I corrected the auction in my original post.  ::)
--Ben--

• Group: Guests

Posted 2003-February-28, 14:49

K of S, S hook. There is an inference that opening leader holds Q of S - else why lean an unsupported Ace. Incidentally, why am I not in 6C?

Ron

#5 User is offline   inquiry 

Posted 2003-March-01, 07:39

[Move] Spoiler -- answer given[/move]

Read no further if you want to work out the play to this hand.

Hi Ron,

Yes, 6C would be a good contract. One has to wonder on the given auction (up to 5H) that partner would take 6C as a second contract option (in addition to 6S) or some grand slam try. Playing on-line bridge with rather unsophisticated agreements it is often best to simplify bidding. Here missing one key card, I choose the simplest auction. If I was going to investigate a possible club contract, I would not jump to 4NT over 2S, but bid a forcing 3C initially (this is why 6C might be confusing).

Now as to the play. You have all the tricks you need, as long as you don’t lose a spade to the Queen. Missing five spades to the Queen and with no clues from the bidding, the odds clearly favor hooking the Spade Queen through West, just as you decided.

So is your straight forward play of simply banging the Spade King and then hook the Spade Jack right?  Well, no. If you are going to play West for two or three Spades to the queen by hooking her for it, you may as well play a line that protects against her holding 4 spades to the queen as well. This will require a trump coupe with two ruff in dummy to shorten dummy’s trumps to holding to match the hypothetical 4 spades with west. Then you can use your diamonds as “trump substitutes”. Papa’s very good line of play was to immediately ruff his good Heart KING at trick three. Then he played a Spade to the king and hooked the Spade Jack. The hand he was trying to protect against was:

S-Qxxx
H-Axxx
D-xxx
C-xx

By ruffing the heart now, he has just enough time. When the Spade hooks wins, he can enter his hand with the club JACK, ruff a diamond, enter his hand with the club TEN, and play diamonds until West ruffs. He will over ruff, and dummys clubs are good. If West never ruffs in? He throws away the dummys club AKQ and the four card ending is dummys S-AJ, West S-Qx and the lead in south.

Sadly for papa, West had three spades to the Queen (not 4), so the simple play of banging the spade King and hooking the Queen worked as well. His extra thoughtful ruff of his good heart king at trick three thus only brought wonderment from the opponents, but no benefits against other declearers who didn't look as far into the hand.
--Ben--

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users