Auction P - 2n - p - 3n Lead = 4H

K43
QT9
QJT53

AT62
AQ
A82
AK62

You ave just received a favorable lead and now can count 10 tricks but this is match points and the lead seems normal so........ where do you go in search of additional tricks?
This game never ceases to intrigue me!!

#2 User is offline   luis 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2003-September-30, 08:23

I think I'd take the h lead, cross to dummy and play the dQ. If this is covered I have 11 tricks. If the dQ is not covered then I'll take the second heart, play both spades and all the clubs and eventually decide about the diamonds.
Playing MPs I think I'd finesse again in diammonds 75% of chances of getting 11 tricks.
The legend of the black octogon.

#3 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2003-September-30, 08:38

If you want to win at matchpoints, you have to risk your cold contracts time and time again. The entire field will be in 3NT. So my initial response is double hook in diamonds. If you really want to pick up imps, play diamonds backwards (low towards dummy ten, and if that loses to the jack, then hook the KING on way back.. this is roughly the same odds ~74.5 versus 76%, but lots of declearers will take the double hook through EAST. In the long run, that is the winning play, but if you need a board now... :0 )

In general, Luis's line is absolutely right at matchpoints (be sure to note his cash both spades before the second diamond hook). At imps, try the same Diamond QUEEN thing. If the king shows up great. If not, maybe the ACE will drop the jack doubleton (or float the TEN, and maybe the ACE will drop doubleton King)... Playing on spades is lots less percentage play for extra trick... but of course after first diamond hook, be sure to at least check for lucky spade holding (doubleton QJ).

Ben
--Ben--

#4 User is offline   flytoox 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2003-September-30, 08:52

Hehe, my line is slightly different. I will cash spade ace and king and then lead small spade from dummy. I succeed either s 3-3 or 4-2 but west doublton with one honor or east doublton honour.

#5 User is offline   inquiry 

• Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2003-September-30, 09:06

Hehe, my line is slightly different. I will cash spade ace and king and then lead small spade from dummy. I succeed either s 3-3 or 4-2 but west doublton with one honor or east doublton honour.

This is not as good a line. 3-3 spades is 35.5%, doubleton QJ of spades (either side) is 3.23 %, and stiff Q, J or doublteon Q or J (not counting QJ doubleton) with WEST is only 15.3%. This stuff adds up to 54% or so. Of course, you are always sure to make with this line, I think, but this isn't about making, it is about matchpoints and 76>>54.

Ben
--Ben--

#6 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2003-September-30, 15:50

I'd play my clubs first, so they have to throw away some cards (2, 3 or 4 probably). If some spades fall, you might even make 4 S-tricks. If nothing special happens (not much spades were played), you can still try the D, whatever way you like. I suspect DK is in west (because his H aren't great, he needs another entry), so I'd play small to the Queen (blocking the D by keeping the ace) and play a small spade afterwards, you never know that S fall pretty nice. If they take the small D and play H afterwards, take in your hand, play DA, SK and small S. Decide what you play in the hand (ace?)...
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#7 User is offline   easy 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2003-September-30, 16:25

Well there seems to be some discrepancy in opinion on the play of this hand.

for your info

spades were 33, kjx of diamonds was in west hand. so.......... all of u that chose the 75% (actually a tad more including slight increase for lucky spade holdings) action will earn 35% of the match points and all of u that chose to play for 33 spades or the kd on side will receives 60% or better.

I am proud to say i got 35%

ROFL
This game never ceases to intrigue me!!

#8 User is offline   luke warm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, poker, politics

Posted 2003-September-30, 17:24

i guess i'd have scored low, cause i'd have chosen ben's 'imp' line, thinking that LHO's entry had to be the diamond king.. so i'd take queen hts and lead low but not to 10, to Q of diamonds.. i'm trying all along to make 11 tricks, but if i have to settle for 10 i will
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#9 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2003-September-30, 18:08

I agree with Luis and Ben, double hook the D. At least this did not get a zero.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#10 User is offline   mishovnbg 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge - new bidding systems, psyches; Computers - education, service, program; Computer games great fan :-)

Posted 2003-September-30, 18:43

Hi all!
A SP, KSP, if no J/Q SP fall, first finesse with Q of DI. If W take K DI and return HE (low chance he had 4 SP too), take all CL, discard SP, at finish decide to make or not second finesse.
Note: if stiff QJ SP, then finesse DI and card showing squeese for E ( SP - J/K DI) for 12 tricks B)
Misho
MishoVnBg

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users