• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

BBO Web-client Thread 8

#1 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2009-September-23, 11:46

We have made a new version of the web-client available to Forums readers in the hope that we will get some helpful feedback before we officially release the next version to the general BBO membership.

Please let us know what you think by posting feedback in this thread!

You can find out how to access this version of the web-client and read about the changes that were introduced in it through:

Link to thread announcing new version

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#2 User is offline   HeavyDluxe 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2009-September-23, 12:04

First shot looking at this from the office...

We are interested in knowing: Is this relatively intuitive?

I certainly think so. The navigation makes total sense and seems obvious. My eyes went right to the sidebar buttons as soon as I logged in.

Do you think we have to try to make it more obvious (perhaps by making the new "results" button below the table stand out more)?

Perhaps it could be highlighted. A different color, perhaps? Bolded text? You could format the sidebar button to match.

My other initial thought was that, while I'm not running at the problem resolution, the two side buttons for RESULTS and WHO'S ONLINE could be a *little* thicker to call more attention to them.

Is the way I explained how to show/hide the results area sufficient? This last question is important because we will want to try to explain this to all web-client users (in the lobby news for example) in a concise and clear way.

I thought your explanation was very clear and sufficient. OFMMV.

As always, thanks for the use of this wonderful site...

#3 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-September-23, 12:29

I would place the "results" toggle button under the "my results" tab as a tab with a name like "full screen". That would make it more intuitive to me.

I agree with HeavyDluxe that the tabs work very well. They are immediately visible and invite a user to try them out.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#4 User is offline   uday 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-September-23, 16:05

Found a glitch in beta that manifests (maybe) when you see popups that ask you questions. Example: "Blah wants to sit at your MoneyBridge table. Allow?"

Just FYI, I'm sure we'll get rid of it in a cpl hrs.

edit: fixed as of 7PM EST on Sep 23. if you've already tried the beta, suggest you clear browser cache before trying it again.

#5 User is offline   raist 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2009-September-24, 17:57

I hope that this new version will either:

1)inherit the browser's proxy settings instead of making a direct connection all the time

OR

2) use port 80 or 443 instead of port 3336 like it currently does

one of the big things about web bbo was that it would bypass firewalls but it's not doing so. users who are behind corporate or university firewalls which only open ports 80 and 443 are still unable to use web bbo

#6 User is offline   karlson 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-September-24, 23:05

On the windows client, when you finished a team match (or tournament, I think), you were placed in some kind of "tournament room" where you could chat to the whole tournament, look at the results, etc. This was a nice functionality, and it would be nice to have some equivalent in the web client.

#7 User is offline   HeavyDluxe 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-September-25, 07:59

I've played with the new client on and off for a couple days. Personally, I really like the new navigation and I think it works well.

The other night, I had my wife (a non-BBOer) look at it. Her only suggestion was to have arrows on the ONLINE and RESULTS tabs. It would point 'in' to the playing area when closed - indicating that if you click it, something will pop that direction. If one of the tabs is expanded, the arrow would shift and point to the margin of the screen - showing that the thing will hide if you click it again.

Otherwise, I really, really like it.

#8 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-September-25, 12:26

raist, on Sep 24 2009, 11:57 PM, said:

I hope that this new version will either:

1)inherit the browser's proxy settings instead of making a direct connection all the time

OR

2) use port 80 or 443 instead of port 3336 like it currently does

one of the big things about web bbo was that it would bypass firewalls but it's not doing so. users who are behind corporate or university firewalls which only open ports 80 and 443 are still unable to use web bbo

Thanks for mentioning this and sorry we haven't dealt with it.

We are trying to work out something now. I will make another post if/when we are successful. It may not happen for another week or so.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#9 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2009-September-25, 15:44

I've noticed that the diagram that shows dealer and vulnerability is partially covered by North's hand diagram in this version.

#10 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-September-25, 15:49

barmar, on Sep 25 2009, 09:44 PM, said:

I've noticed that the diagram that shows dealer and vulnerability is partially covered by North's hand diagram in this version.

I believe you, but it probably depends on the type of table in question and the dimensions of the table surface.

If you can send a screenshot to fred@bridgebase.com, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#11 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2009-September-25, 16:50

I'm having trouble reproducing it right now, if it happens again I'll send you email.

But when I logged in to try it, another weird thing happened. I clicked on BBO Now, then Interesting Tables. Instead of popping up the list of tables, it popped up a window with two buttons, Interesting Tables and Vugraph (the same choices that were in the menu). I clicked the Interesting Tables button and the table list popped up. I selected a table to go to, but when I then clicked its "Close" button, the empty "BBO Now" window stayed on the screen. The only thing in it was the X at the upper-right corner, but clicking on it didn't do anything.

I'm was using Safari 4.0.3 on OS X Leopard, with the latest Flash, when this happened.

#12 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-September-25, 17:46

barmar, on Sep 25 2009, 10:50 PM, said:

I'm having trouble reproducing it right now, if it happens again I'll send you email.

But when I logged in to try it, another weird thing happened. I clicked on BBO Now, then Interesting Tables. Instead of popping up the list of tables, it popped up a window with two buttons, Interesting Tables and Vugraph (the same choices that were in the menu). I clicked the Interesting Tables button and the table list popped up. I selected a table to go to, but when I then clicked its "Close" button, the empty "BBO Now" window stayed on the screen. The only thing in it was the X at the upper-right corner, but clicking on it didn't do anything.

I'm was using Safari 4.0.3 on OS X Leopard, with the latest Flash, when this happened.

Thanks. Working on the weird thing(s)...

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#13 User is offline   HeavyDluxe 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-September-25, 18:32

This is probably by design, but I'll throw it out just in case...

When the WHO's/RESULTS sidebar is minimized, the effect of the BIG CARDS check box becomes almost nothing. Toggling the check box moves the bidding window to the upper-right of the screen and blows up a little of the text. However, the cards are mostly unaffected.

FF3.5.3 on a Mac running 10.6

#14 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-September-25, 22:16

I did not see Lobby chat?

How do I find teamgames or those looking to start bbo teamgames?

#15 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-September-25, 22:22

The cards just seem clearer/easier to read on my old version 5.2.6

On this new version table feels cramped.

Bottom line, if there is a reason to switch, other than I can play with a cell phone, I dont get it.

#16 User is offline   zheddh 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-September-25, 22:29

fred, on Sep 25 2009, 01:26 PM, said:

raist, on Sep 24 2009, 11:57 PM, said:

Thanks for mentioning this and sorry we haven't dealt with it.

We are trying to work out something now. I will make another post if/when we are successful. It may not happen for another week or so.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

Yes, this would be an awesome. Thanks for working on it.
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. - Hanlon's razor (by courtesy of hrothgar)

#17 User is offline   pdmunro 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-September-26, 02:50

********** "Results" *****************
I didn't read the instructions and, consequently, I didn't find it intiuitive as to how to find movies of the played hands. I searched the screen a few times but didn't think to click the "Results" button. For some reason, I didn't even notice it. Probaly it's because, I use the desktop version routinely and I was looking for the "Movie" button. Having read the instructions and tried clicking "Results", it is fine now. Perhaps, it would help to make it intuitive if the "Results" button flashed at the end of a hand for, say, 10 secs.

********** Size of cards ******************
Among the reasons, that I prefer the desktop, is that I find the cards easier/clearer to read. I have attached a few images and comments.

1) Comparing new web-client with the desktop version:
Posted Image
To me,
a) the desktop image has clear red/black cards; web-client has maroon/black cards which don't contrast as well; and
b) the desktop court cards have a hint of an image that assists the eye.

A couple of less important differences that are probably just "familiarity differences":
c) all desktop cards have a black border - I don't find that the maroon border of the web-client assists my eye; and
d) I don't know what dimensions letters and numbers should ideally have (Is it the "golden ratio") but I find the "taller" web client numbers not as easy to read at the squarer desktop numbers.

2) Have you considered having large face cards similar to these from Bridge Baron?

Posted Image
Large cards as set out by Bridge Baron.

Something like the images of the played cards might work fine as images for a players hand:
Posted Image

Bridge Baron's large cards are a good size for making YouTube videos.
Peter . . . . AKQ . . . . K = 3 points = 1 trick
"Of course wishes everybody to win and play as good as possible, but it is a hobby and a game, not war." 42 (BBO Forums)
"If a man speaks in the forest and there are no women around to hear is he still wrong?" anon
"Politics: an inadequate substitute for bridge." John Maynard Keynes
"This is how Europe works, it dithers, it delays, it makes cowardly small steps towards the truth and at some point that which it has admonished as impossible it embraces as inevitable." Athens University economist Yanis Varoufakis
"Krypt3ia @ Craig, dude, don't even get me started on you. You have posted so far two articles that I and others have found patently clueless. So please, step away from the keyboard before you hurt yourself." Comment on infosecisland.com
"Doing is the real hard part" Emma Coats (formerly from Pixar)
"I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and took out a comma. In the afternoon I put it back again." Oscar Wilde
"Assessment, far more than religion, has become the opiate of the people" Patricia Broadfoot, Uni of Gloucestershire, UK

#18 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-September-26, 03:31

pdmunro, on Sep 26 2009, 09:50 AM, said:

**********  Size of cards  ******************
Among the reasons that I prefer the desktop, is that I find the cards easier/clearer to read.  I have attached a few images and comments.

1) Comparing new web-client with the desktop version:
Posted Image

A couple of less important differences that are probably just "familiarity differences":
c) all desktop cards have a black border - I don't find that the maroon border of the web-client assists my eye; and
d) I don't know what dimensions letters and numbers should ideally have (Is it the "golden ratio") but I find the "taller" web client numbers not as easy to read at the squarer desktop numbers. 

I find the web-client card pictures impossible to play with and have to use hand diagram mode. But I prefer, by a large margin, the card pictures on the windows client.

Again it seems like the ratio and amount of white space just makes them seem unclear.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#19 User is offline   cherdanno 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-September-26, 09:38

The description of a bid can sometimes completely hide other bids (even possibly the most recent one).
"Are you saying that LTC merits a more respectful dismissal?"

#20 User is offline   Sadie3 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACBL

Posted 2009-September-27, 11:13

cherdanno stated my observation. When an opponent queried my bid and I typed in a description, the description covered up all the prior bids and altho I knew it was my turn to bid, I could not see what the bids were and had to ask the table to tell me so I could bid. Perhaps a fading of the description or placing it elsewhere rather than over the bids in the bidding area would help. Or even being able to move it ourselves to another spot is a possibility.

I have noticed that when reviewing a movie and clicking on a bid for a description does the same thing. So, one either has to review all the bids first and then click on the alerted ones for descriptions after, or there is difficulty in reviewing the rest of the auction. I like the idea of having the description fade after several seconds.

The results screen is really nice especially with the average supplied at the bottom. Gives me a feel for how well I'm doing without me spending the time to mentally add up the individual scores.

I think it is a great product. Thanks BBO for all the work!

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users