• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

BBO Web-client Thread 7

#1 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2009-July-04, 10:29

Please post comments regarding BBO's web-client here!

You should access this version of BBO through the yellow link "click here to play or watch bridge" on our home page:

www.bridgebase.com

You can learn more about the changes that were introduced in the latest version of the web-client here:

Link to details of latest version of BBO web-client

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#2 User is offline   H_KARLUK 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2009-July-05, 04:14

Hi Everyone..

Seems an exact snapshot of the actual paper convention card. A resizable window. Please take a look. Cool.

Best...
Hamdi

ps. I couldn't see 'Toss a quarter to kib me, so lets hear clunk voice' option. Ooh my..Ahh I've to be patient ;)
We all know that light travels faster than sound. That's why certain people appear bright until you hear them speak. Quoted by Albert Einstein.

#3 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2009-July-05, 11:22

Some of the fill-in fields in the ACBL CC don't allow enough characters. In "Leb ____ Denies", there only 3 characters are allowed, so you can't write "slow" or "fast" (what else would you want to write there?). And in "Systems on over", I wanted to write "X, Artificial 2C", but I had to cram it into "X,Art2C".

#4 User is offline   babalu1997 

• Duchess of Malaprop
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:i am not interested

Posted 2009-July-06, 17:57

Hello

This concerns subbing the web version.

We sign up for subbing in any game and suddenly see ourselves removed from the so called expert team matches.

I have also been removed from some kind of paid game-- was unaware it was a paid game.

So if I refuse 2 substitutions, i am moved off the list, if i accept i end up being moved anyway.

Perhaps the partner of the sub should be able to reject the sub.

View PostFree, on 2011-May-10, 03:57, said:

Babalu just wanted a shoulder to cry on, is that too much to ask for?

#5 User is offline   mtvesuvius 

• Vesuvius the Violent Volcano
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:SLEEPING

Posted 2009-July-06, 18:08

It would be nice if the tables in play list automatically updated itself without requiring a refresh. Also, I'd like a way to see kibitzers and still be able to see results, i.e. make it so that when I run my mouse over the Box in the top left corner I see the list of kibs.

Edit: It would also be helpful if the software showed the host of a team match once it has started.

This post has been edited by mtvesuvius: 2009-July-06, 18:17

Yay for the "Ignored Users" feature!

#6 User is offline   ulven 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Real name: Ulf Nilsson
    Semi-pro player.

Posted 2009-July-06, 23:25

a/ I'd like to be able to choose language, instead of letting the OS decide. I'm so used to English that I prefer that, but I'm forced into Swedish (with some awkward translations of bridge terms).

b/ Scores for each deal in "My results" isn't updated as they change (when more people played the hands).
"When I'm working on a problem, I never think about beauty. I think only how to solve the problem. But when I have finished, if the solution is not beautiful, I know it is wrong."
- R. Buckminster Fuller

#7 User is offline   ulven 

• PipPipPipPip
    Semi-pro player.

Posted 2009-July-07, 00:34

c/ There's a bug in the chat function. Both when trying on my home (Samsung, XP, swe) and work (Dell, XP, eng) PC, the keyboard layout gets mysteriously re-mapped when <shift> is used.

;: are just some characters that sits to the right of <m> for me, available thru shift. In the web-client, it all comes out as >.
"When I'm working on a problem, I never think about beauty. I think only how to solve the problem. But when I have finished, if the solution is not beautiful, I know it is wrong."
- R. Buckminster Fuller

#8 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-July-07, 07:22

ulven, on Jul 7 2009, 06:34 AM, said:

c/ There's a bug in the chat function. Both when trying on my home (Samsung, XP, swe) and work (Dell, XP, eng) PC, the keyboard layout gets mysteriously re-mapped when <shift> is used.

;: are just some characters that sits to the right of <m> for me, available thru shift. In the web-client, it all comes out as >.

Thanks for the bug report, Ulven.

So far I can't replicate this problem - perhaps it has something to do with your keyboard layout. In any case, if you could answer the following questions it might be helpful:

1) Do the >s appear where you are typing or do the characters appear normally until the actual chat message itself is displayed in the area above where you type?

2) Assuming that the >s actually appear when you are typing, can you please try typing in some other areas and let me know if the same behavior occurs? For example, try editing the "Other" part of your user profile by clicking "My BBO" then "User profile".

Thanks,

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#9 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-July-07, 07:50

ulven, on Jul 7 2009, 05:25 AM, said:

a/ I'd like to be able to choose language, instead of letting the OS decide. I'm so used to English that I prefer that, but I'm forced into Swedish (with some awkward translations of bridge terms).

b/ Scores for each deal in "My results" isn't updated as they change (when more people played the hands).

a/ For now the only way you can do this is to use this URL:

http://www.bridgebas...ent.php?lang=en

The problem with this method is that your browser window will still contain all the normal controls at the top. Unless you have a big monitor, the vertical space taken up by these controls rates to have an adverse impact on user experience. You can get around this problem by hitting the F11 key after the software loads.

I have made a note to try to come up with a better solution.

b/ True. You have to click on a result in question to get an updated score.

As other users have noted there are other lists that do not update automatically (notably lists of tables, tournaments, and kibitzers). As I have noted, these issues are more complex than meets the eye mostly because we want the web-client and our servers to be able to perform well when there are a lot more people online than there are today - the more information that is automatically sent from server->client, the harder this becomes. The approach we take in the Windows client, where every client knows everything about the state of the entire system at all times is not scalable (and not necessary since 99% of this information is useless to the user).

All I can say for now is that we know that people would like to see improvements in this area and I expect they will come in time. I doubt we will set things up so that all of these lists update in real time, but periodic "autorefreshes" might be in the cards.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#10 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-July-07, 08:03

barmar, on Jul 5 2009, 05:22 PM, said:

Some of the fill-in fields in the ACBL CC don't allow enough characters.  In "Leb ____ Denies", there only 3 characters are allowed, so you can't write "slow" or "fast" (what else would you want to write there?).  And in "Systems on over", I wanted to write "X, Artificial 2C", but I had to cram it into "X,Art2C".

I will allow more characters in these fields in the next version. Let me know if you find additional areas in which such problems exist.

Keep in mind that the number of characters we allow has to be limited by screen space. If we let these fields scroll horizontally then it would be awkward for people to read their opponents' convention cards.

Allowing more physical space (and hence more characters) in some areas is not going to happen because we want the thing to look like an ACBL convention card.

This stuff is hard to get right because the many different types and versions of browsers and fonts that are out there mean that the number of characters that can be typed into these fields without scrolling will not be the same for all users. It was necessary to err on the side of caution, but it sounds like I might have been too cautious in some places.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#11 User is offline   ulven 

• PipPipPipPip
    Semi-pro player.

Posted 2009-July-07, 08:08

fred, on Jul 7 2009, 08:22 AM, said:

ulven, on Jul 7 2009, 06:34 AM, said:

1) Do the >s appear where you are typing or do the characters appear normally until the actual chat message itself is displayed in the area above where you type?

2) Assuming that the >s actually appear when you are typing, can you please try typing in some other areas and let me know if the same behavior occurs? For example, try editing the "Other" part of your user profile by clicking "My BBO" then "User profile".

Thanks,

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

>s appears as I write. "Shifted" characters on all number (and other top-/sidelevel) keys are different as well. Seems pretty random to me, but maybe correlated to a US layout. Testing from work (eng XP, swe key layout).

When choosing Mailbox, Compose Mail from My BBO, only US letters and numbers 0-9 work. Any other key or shift doesn't produce anything. Shifting letters work, but shifting numbers doesn't return anything. Can't therefore produce @ or similar.

Also under My BBO, top alternatives, User Profile and Hands and results doesn't work (i.e nothing triggers).
- R. Buckminster Fuller

#12 User is offline   ulven 

• PipPipPipPip
    Semi-pro player.

Posted 2009-July-07, 08:20

ulven, on Jul 7 2009, 09:08 AM, said:

>s appears as I write. "Shifted" characters on all number (and other top-/sidelevel) keys are different as well. Seems pretty random to me, but maybe correlated to a US layout. Testing from work (eng XP, swe key layout).

When choosing Mailbox, Compose Mail from My BBO, only US letters and numbers 0-9 work. Any other key or shift doesn't produce anything. Shifting letters work, but shifting numbers doesn't return anything. Can't therefore produce @ or similar.

Also under My BBO, top alternatives, User Profile and Hands and results doesn't work (i.e nothing triggers).

As I use Chrome, I just decided to try IE instead.
All worked fine there except the Mailbox issue. Still only able to use letters and 0-9 (no number shift). The other "mapping" issues seems browser related.
User Profile and Hands and results worked with IE.

FYI, I run Chrome on dev channel (3.0.191.3).
- R. Buckminster Fuller

#13 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-July-07, 08:32

ulven, on Jul 7 2009, 02:20 PM, said:

ulven, on Jul 7 2009, 09:08 AM, said:

As I use Chrome, I just decided to try IE instead.
All worked fine there except the Mailbox issue. Still only able to use letters and 0-9 (no number shift). The other "mapping" issues seems browser related.
User Profile and Hands and results worked with IE.

FYI, I run Chrome on dev channel (3.0.191.3).

Thanks for the good news.

I think the explanation for the mailbox isssue is that you are typing in the "send to" area. This area is intended for a BBO user ID so you can only type characters that can legally be used in a BBO user ID.

Hopefully if you type in the "message" area below that you will be able to get the full range of characters.

Sorry you are having problems with your preferred browser, but it doesn't sound like the bug is ours. Most likely either Chrome itself or the Chrome version of Flash Player is the source of this bug. Hopefully either Google or Adobe will do something about this before too long...

About "user profile" and "hands and results" appearing to do nothing under Chrome, I suspect that problem is a function of (perhaps temporary) network slowness rather than a Chrome-specific problem. If I am right then the problem should go away if you stay logged in for a couple of minutes and then try it. If that doesn't help, exit the web-client, clear your cache, and try again.

Or just use IE :P

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#14 User is offline   uday 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-July-07, 09:03

We sign up for subbing in any game and suddenly

Subbing works much the same in both versions, except that in the web version you have the ability to sign up for 'any Tournament' while in the windows version you can only sign up for specific tourneys.

A TD who cares is expected to look at the list and pick the one he wants . Some of them doubtless pick 'any sub' then replace that sub if they dont like what they get. that isn't too nice.

U

#15 User is offline   TimG 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-July-07, 15:56

I have a two questions that likely have to do with my personal browser settings, but I'm checking anyway.

My default browser is Mozilla Firefox. When I go the bridgebase site and click on "Click here to play or watch bridge in your web browser" link, a new window is opened with the web-client (without the usual toolbars and tabs) which is a good thing.

If I bookmark http://www.bridgebas...ient/client.php and attempt to use that to get to the web-client, the window (or tab) that BBO is opened in comes with the tool bars. Does anyone know if there is a way to get to the web-client in a single step rather than two steps: go to bridgebase.com then click the link?

Second, and of more interest, I generally resize the panes in the web-client. These settings are not saved for my next visit. Is this a fault of my cache/cookie/etc settings or is the resize information intentionally not saved? There doesn't seem to me to be an obvious option setting in BBO to save the resize, but I have missed such things in the past.

Thanks,
Tim

#16 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-July-08, 09:30

TimG, on Jul 7 2009, 09:56 PM, said:

I have a two questions that likely have to do with my personal browser settings, but I'm checking anyway.

My default browser is Mozilla Firefox.  When I go the bridgebase site and click on "Click here to play or watch bridge in your web browser" link, a new window is opened with the web-client (without the usual toolbars and tabs) which is a good thing.

If I bookmark http://www.bridgebas...ient/client.php and attempt to use that to get to the web-client, the window (or tab) that BBO is opened in comes with the tool bars.  Does anyone know if there is a way to get to the web-client in a single step rather than two steps: go to bridgebase.com then click the link?

I don't think there is any way to do this.

Second, and of more interest, I generally resize the panes in the web-client.  These settings are not saved for my next visit.  Is this a fault of my cache/cookie/etc settings or is the resize information intentionally not saved?  There doesn't seem to me to be an obvious option setting in BBO to save the resize, but I have missed such things in the past.

If you actually log off (instead of exiting by closing your browser window) these settings will be saved.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#17 User is offline   TimG 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-July-08, 09:57

[quote name='fred' date='Jul 8 2009, 10:30 AM'] Second, and of more interest, I generally resize the panes in the web-client.  These settings are not saved for my next visit.  Is this a fault of my cache/cookie/etc settings or is the resize information intentionally not saved?  There doesn't seem to me to be an obvious option setting in BBO to save the resize, but I have missed such things in the past.
[/QUOTE]

If you actually log off (instead of exiting by closing your browser window) these settings will be saved. [/quote]
That works if I log off and then log back in without ever closing the BBO window. But, if I log off and then close the window, the next time I come back to the web-client I am back to the default size rather than the resized window.

#18 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-July-08, 10:06

[quote name='TimG' date='Jul 8 2009, 03:57 PM'] [quote name='fred' date='Jul 8 2009, 10:30 AM'] Second, and of more interest, I generally resize the panes in the web-client.  These settings are not saved for my next visit.  Is this a fault of my cache/cookie/etc settings or is the resize information intentionally not saved?  There doesn't seem to me to be an obvious option setting in BBO to save the resize, but I have missed such things in the past.
[/QUOTE]

If you actually log off (instead of exiting by closing your browser window) these settings will be saved. [/QUOTE]
That works if I log off and then log back in without ever closing the BBO window. But, if I log off and then close the window, the next time I come back to the web-client I am back to the default size rather than the resized window. [/quote]
Sorry I thought you were referring to the BBO-specific settings (not the settings related to the size/position of your browser window).

We intentionally do not save these settings - the popup window always fills up most/all of your screen.

We might be able to do something about this in the future.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#19 User is offline   A2003 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-July-08, 17:57

It looks like I can not have both ACBL convention card and Full disclosure convention card with the same partner. Program shows only one type of convention card with the same partner. Also, Like to see 10 text line box to write some system notes in ACBL convention card.

#20 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-July-08, 18:16

A2003, on Jul 8 2009, 11:57 PM, said:

It looks like I can not have both ACBL convention card and Full disclosure convention card with the same partner. Program shows only one type of convention card with the same partner. 

Each partnership can have only 1 registered convention card - type does not enter into the equation.

Also, Like to see 10 text line box to write some system notes in ACBL convention card.

I am not sure I understand what you mean, but our goal was ot make the ACBL convention card look like a real ACBL convention card. Keeping that in mind, if you want to try to clarify what you were trying to say, I will try to answer.

Fred Gtielman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users